Best way to deal with some green logs - sycamore and cherry

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tallis

Reaction score
Greetings all,

I've just joined the forums so be gentle with me. Im a very beginner woodworker/turner just starting to try and learn a bit more technique and develop some skills for what has always been a bit of a bodge-hobby, so grateful for any advice - no doubt as I get going i'll be a bit of a regular fixture..(read: pain the ar*e).

A gardner I know is due to take down an sycamore tree and also some cherry - the former is around 8-10" diameter trunk and the cherry around 6" - and he offered me some sections for turning or working.

I really dont know what the best way would be to prepare such timber and I would be grateful for any advice - are there any useful links explaining the different options/techniques - I have access to a chainsaw and a relatively low power bandsaw (small cut depth).

For producing some suitable turning blanks - what would the best way to get the most out of this wood - Its not yet been felled so i can specify what size logs.

I've heard about simply sealing the end grain with parrafin wax, planking through a saw, quarter-sawing and part-turning green - but i know little in any detail - any hints, tips and signposts to useful resources to look at (even good book titles) would be much appreciated.

welcome Tallis to the forum, i am new to turning myself but did find myself in the same predicament as yourself not to long ago, all i have done is seal the ends of 3'- 4' logs and left them covered behind my cabin.
I have just taken delivery of 2 birch 1 cherry and 1 lime trunk and i intend to do the same as above.
Others will be along shortly with their knowledge. :lol:

Id the wood is wide enough you could split it down the middle, logs keep as long as possible and coat the end in something to seal the ends. Old gloss pain. wax, PVA glue, or a proprietary end seal if you are feeling rich. Store somewhere that allows the ait to get at it but not the rain. Cherry in particular is prone to splitting so in keeping the logs as long as possible you have a chance of just losing some off the ends. Alternatively turn something from it when wet. Sycamore in particular is great for greeen turning. Turn something really thin and watch it shape change.

George (Cornucopia) does a lot of his work with green wood and Mark Hancock uses a lot of green sycamore for his work if you want to have a look at their sites for examples

pete

Welcome to the forum Tallis, there's several threads relating to discussions about storing/using green wood on the forum.

This is a link to one from the Help sticky at the top of the forum page, there's also a link for a google advanced search of the forum which you may find throws up more info. easier than the standard search.

If you find you have a surplus of Cherry I'd be interested in helping out :)

There's nothing quite so nice as sourcing your own wood rather than buying it ready blanked.

One other thing would be to rough turn some bowls from the green wood which will dry a lot faster than the logs...

Miles

Back