Best Router Bits

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

segovia

Established Member
Reaction score
I have been buying Axminster value router bits, I am not sure they are up to the mark. I was routing some hardwood on my table and the bit was scorching the timber. What is considered to be top quality router bits ?

J

I tend to use wealdan cutters more than anything over the last year without many problems. Iv had the odd burn mark but nothing to grumble about.

You could choose far worse than Wealden. Check out their website with a quick search on the name. Good range and quality at sensible prices. Their delivery times are usually outstanding.

Usual bit about satisfied customer only. . . . .

I have never used Trend Jeff. So can't comment.

There's a vast range of cutters, of course, but of them all Wealden and Titman are reliable and have good service too.

I also bought a boxed set of Axminster's 'economy cutters'. They work fine and for stuff like MDF or Plywood, I have no complaints.

John

jeffinfrance":3rf754rf said:
am i making a mistake buying trend then?

jeff

Trend are ok, but be aware the have two different ranges of router cutters, the green craft range that don't last five minutes and the black trade/pro range.

From my experience the wealden straight two flutes last longer than the trade trends when cutting kitchen worktops

I'd also highly recommend Wealden. :)

If you don't mind me asking, what operation were you performing on your table? For example; if your were routing grooves using a straight cutter (where waste clearance is less efficient), you should find better results using a slot-cutter and standing the timber up on edge.

OPJ":83z9mvwg said:
I'd also highly recommend Wealden. :)

If you don't mind me asking, what operation were you performing on your table? For example; if your were routing grooves using a straight cutter (where waste clearance is less efficient), you should find better results using a slot-cutter and standing the timber up on edge.

I was profiling some radius on the end of some mahogany boards

John

Hi guys... sorry for dredging this old thread back but it's exactly relevant.

I use a 19mm half-round router cutter (no bearing, 1/4 OR 1/2" shank) to dig out the channel down the centre of the hardwood flutes (as in: musical instruments) I make. The family member I trust for this sort of stuff swears by Trend cutters and the one I want is nearly £60 a pop. He also firmly believes in "you get what you pay for".

However, a lot of you reccomending Wealden cutters; the one of those I want is only £19?! Similarly confusing is the price of the Titman which comes in at £43.

So - the task I need the routers for is to cut a short (60mm) channel and a long (600mm) channel into two pieces of hardwood (various types) and then stick them together (basically). Out of the cheap B&Q router bit I initially bought, I got a total of 7 flutes using Sapele, Walnut, Oak, Maple and Ash. It's now about had it and almost sets the wood on fire if I try to get any more out of it.

For this task, in these woods, would you recommend a Wealden, a Titman or a Trend?!

Please help me in my confusion... thanks!

I use Wealden mainly because they deliver next day and the the cutters I have bought seem to cut ok, having said that I did buy a set of 36 cutters with 1/2" shafts for £30 which have served me okay, so is it worth forking out all that hard earned dosh on a cutter, or is it the hardness of material used that warrants a high price, probably is and I suppose it all depends on how much you use it.

I'd say Wealden as well. I have a few Trend cutters, and they are outperformed by Wealden, who incidentally just so happens to be a LOT cheaper.
Titman get good reviews as well, so if you plan on using it a lot, they will probably be the top choice.

Latest posts

Back