Benchtop planer/ thicknesser?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joiner_sim

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am starting to feel the urge of wanting to get my own house and build a workshop, now I know it's definatley a long way a way yet, but a guy can think about it can't he?

So, with the thought of trying to keep costs down as I'll have a mortgage to worry about when I do get a house, I was wondering what size workshop I can expect to be able to use? I would like to have a setup and store-away approach to machines really just to not have to have too much space taken up. Is the benchtop variety of planer thicknessers any good? I was looking at: http://www.axminster.co.uk/product-Axminster-MB9020-Benchtop-Planer-Thicknesser-801599.htm Is this little machine any good really, or is it a complete waste of money?

Also can anyone suggest a table saw, benchtop or freestanding that wont take up too much room, but will be good enough to cut large sheets on and rip down timbers?

What size workshop would you suggest I'd be looking at minimum?

I'm way less experienced than many of the folk who post on here, but I have to say both the planer/thicknesser and the table saw would be a long way down my list if I was starting from scratch. Do you have any other tools already?

The ones I have that I really wouldn't be without are my pillar drill, compound mitre saw, jigsaw and circular saw. Oh, and my trusty B&D workmate :D .

Sorry - I just looked more closely at your picture and number of posts and realised I got hold of completely the wrong end of the stick - you're obviously a member of the way more experienced folk I referred to! :oops:

Lol, I maybe experienced, and have had my own private shop before, but I'm not able to have one at the moment, til I get my own house. I'm just wondering about the quality of these little machines, as I'm more used to using heavy duty industrial types which when I come to think about it, aren't all that great anyway lol, but would just like to know how they compare as money will be tight but doubt i'll be able to save up for heavy duty stuff, especially when it will only be occasional use.

BOOMMMM I'm here!

Mine arrived today, very impressed, nice machine, quick change over, 8" capacity. Its very very loud. Can't believe you can get an 8" machine for £170.

Whats the finish like on the thicknesser on hardwood, like oak?

I'm thinking of building a workshop in the future with a full size sheet of ply or mdf as the top, and everything stored underneath generally....? Depending on the workshop size obviously I'd think about setting up machines around the walls..... but I'd be happy with a large bench and space to walk all way around it.

to be honest, i know ive not got aq lot of experience on here, but ive got my fair share of experience for a young lad,
and i feel its worth just getting somethign you like and are happy using, and somethign with as many uses as possible if size is a prime factor, like how many uses a band saw, small (maybe 9" free standing? i hear the multico's are BRILLIANT for the money on ebay) planer thicknesser, and maybe a drill press and some saw horses for cross cutting have.

Theres no point in having the most descrete and unbelievable, quiete well running machine, if its a pain to use and manuvre, especialy if you love a bit of kit thats lout heavy and a pain,

Its all preference related,

Sammy

i think machines that are

descrete and unbelievable, quiete well running machine

are much easier to use and are of solid build and in no way a pain to use. Also including things like digital readouts and accuracy to a tenth of a millimeter. With a perfect finish, no £180 pt will provide that.

thanks adidat

Adidat is right, noting his more important than good quality tools, my £170 p/t does the job fine, but its very noisy and will be switched to a very expensive machine as soon. The joys of using expensive machinery can only truly be enjoyed once you've slummed it for a bit.

Latest posts

Back