Bench mounting an Axminster AT1628 or AT1416

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sheptonphil

Scrumpy junkie
Reaction score
Last year I purchased an Axi AT1416vs lathe and wanted to bolt it to my workbench. the bolts are blind, in that it is bolted up through the bench into blind holes in the base on the bed casting. It did not come with a template and marking the four 10mm holes by taking measurements from the corner was really not easy. I managed the first two (set distance apart) but to align the other two with perfect distance, square and width was really iffy. The third wasn't too bad but the forth ended more oval than round and trying to lift a corner to see how accurate the holes were was nigh impossible. When setting up the AT1628 this weekend I put more thought and less effort in an came up with this really simple solution. Four holes in 5 minutes absolutely spot on and not a tape measure in sight.

Use the lathe to turn a scrap of hardwood down to a 13mm dowel. Use a parting tool, 15mm from the end reduce the dowel to 9mm over a length of 10mm, making a square shoulder. Sweep the end to 3mm. part off and make 4 of these.

you now have 4 pegs 9mm dia x 10mm long, shouldered to 13mm then down to 3mm (all sizes except 9mm are flexible, as long as shoulder to bench is the same on all pegs)

Img_0458.jpg

lift each end and prop on a scrap of wood, place a peg in each blind hole and lower back to bench. Position lathe and you can now accurately mark round the centred pegs with a sharp pencil.

Img_0455.jpg

With the lathe moved you have accurate 3mm marks to drill. Perfect alignment every time.

Phil

Attachments

• Img_0458.jpg
    Img_0458.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 1,941
  • Img_0455.jpg
    Img_0455.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 1,942
Hi

Would it not have been easier to just pop the fixing bolts into position in the blind holes and transfer their locations to the worktop?

Regards Mick

Too simple to think of that one! ](*,)
Over engineering a simple solution is usually the way for me. I think your way would work perfectly well but this still gives a more accurate mark. (that's my way of justifying the extra work). :roll:

Phil

You mentioned on a post of mine that you were going to start a thread on your way of doing it. Since then I have been giving it some thought and the method I came up with is not dissimilar. I have a set of dowel centre markers ( small metal dowels with a point ) and I decided ( when I get the lathe ) that I could pop one of these into each bolt hole and then the lathes weight would push the points into thin ply to make a template.

Grahamshed":1lh18i8b said:
You mentioned on a post of mine that you were going to start a thread on your way of doing it. Since then I have been giving it some thought and the method I came up with is not dissimilar. I have a set of dowel centre markers ( small metal dowels with a point ) and I decided ( when I get the lathe ) that I could pop one of these into each bolt hole and then the lathes weight would push the points into thin ply to make a template.

Graham, six hours left to order the 1628 before the increase!!

The weight is such your ply would look like a pin cushion setting it down and adjusting it, that's why I didn't go smaller than 3mm. Any smaller would not be any more accurate but be like a woman on stilettos on a ballroom floor. Still think I would go this route rather than the bolt head next time as well though. (What next time? says SWMBO)

Phil

Back