Bench Grinder for under £100

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Spindle":2ech6sdd said:
J_SAMa":2ech6sdd said:
The thing is, the tool rests I know of are all quite expensive. I might as well go for a Creusen 7000 for that price.

Hi

Whilst the rests on a Cruesen may be more substantial I doubt that they will cater for all of your requirements

What are you thinking of grinding? - Home made rests are easy to produce and will give you good results for very little outlay.

Regards Mick
Could you maybe post a link to a tutorial on making a tool rest, especially one that requires a minimal set of metalworking tools (I don't even have a drill press)...

I bought a Crusen on the Bay for a not much more than the £100 price suggested. It was a returned unit sold by Axminister. It's a good place to look they regularly pop up, and I don't think you would need to wait too long...hint hint.

I recommend the Veritas jig...to be honest...it was expensive but it's so quick and easy it pays for itself in no time:

DSC_00gs15.JPG

And on the white Creusen wheel...gives a good bevel...

DSC_0083.JPG

And the Creusen motor and bearings are second to none!

Jim

jimi43":2cpd67ma said:
I recommend the Veritas jig...to be honest...it was expensive but it's so quick and easy it pays for itself in no time:
I use a Veritas err... thingy too. They're quite good. But if you're struggling to justify the expenditure on the grinder, the Veritas err... thingy is probably a bridge too far. I wonder if I wouldn't have been just as well off with a wooden stand with a groove to take the Veritas clamp. I think they're available separately.

Incidently, I now use a hand cranked grinder for sharpening. I have an 8" high speed grinder as well, for when I want to stuff the temper in a really good chisel :( :wink:

Cheers, Vann.

Vann":2t0d8q0f said:
phil.p":2t0d8q0f said:
Shhh! You said the "j" word...
And the "b" word....

jimi43":2t0d8q0f said:
This thread ihas gone downhill since jimi got here (hammer)

Cheers, Vann.

HA! Youse guys are so FUNNY! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: !

Hey...did I mention I bought the Creusen at a bootfair for £20? 8)

I reckon it's a while since I mentioned that too! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Hey! I made the darn "j" thing for the pink wheel...what more do you guys want!? :mrgreen:

Jimi

But the Veritas "thingy's" notch for the wheel isn't big enough for the 40 mm wide, white wheels you all like so much...
I don't plan on using a jig or guide (there's the "g" word). I will try to, if possible, just make/buy a tool rest and then just freehand on it (was that the "f" word (hammer)).
Another aspect to consider is that I may wish to grind some things at around 90 degrees: the sides of some of my mortise chisels need work as I want to make them taper in width along their "height" (so the cross section will be trapezoidal in shape). Does the Veritas rest allow that or is it only suitable for sharpening?
Sam

J_SAMa":2em9dx84 said:
jimi43":2em9dx84 said:

Jim

Is that a narrow wheel then? Or did you have to widen the notch :?

Not sure what you mean...it's set up like this:

DSC_0028.JPG

The black plate holds the chisel square...the pins ate moveable for wide or narrow tools....the black part slides left and right to work the bevel.

Jimi

jimi43":3ms8kxz5 said:
J_SAMa":3ms8kxz5 said:
jimi43":3ms8kxz5 said:

Jim

Is that a narrow wheel then? Or did you have to widen the notch :?

Not sure what you mean...it's set up like this:

DSC_0028.JPG

The black plate holds the chisel square...the pins ate moveable for wide or narrow tools....the black part slides left and right to work the bevel.

Jimi

Right... Well description of the Veritas tool rest says there is a notch that "straddles" wheels up to 1" wide. But in your set up the rest is just back off far enough for the notch not to straddle at all. Should've thought of that #-o

Hi

Removing parts of the wheel guards to allow wider wheels to be fitted is not best practice - better to look for a machine designed to accept the size wheels you wish to use.

Regards Mick

Spindle":1rbmkni8 said:
Hi

Removing parts of the wheel guards to allow wider wheels to be fitted is not best practice - better to look for a machine designed to accept the size wheels you wish to use.

Regards Mick

Sound advice my friend...and of course it was remiss of me to post a picture showing such practice on a public forum....

Best I don't post too many pictures of my wood lathe then.... :wink:

Jimi

I use a cheapo Clarke one with a Norton 3X wheel for rapid removal.
I've never had an issue with the standard narrow wheels if the stone is true.
Using a rest you carefully pass the blade across.

Rod

G S Haydon":376zin93 said:
I watched the sales video with that grinder. I may be mistaken, but it seemed to me that the tools were being sharpened at entirely wrong angles (no - this is not the start of a sharpening debate (hammer) ).

Also, near the end, a guy is 'sharpening' a drill bit while wearing protective gloves. When I did my apprenticeship we were warned never to wear gloves when working on a grinder - if you slip and the stone catches the glove, it'll pull you into the machine. Mind you we had much bigger grinders (~18-24" wheels from memory).

Cheers, Vann.

Vann":3lu4yskx said:
Also, near the end, a guy is 'sharpening' a drill bit while wearing protective gloves. When I did my apprenticeship we were warned never to wear gloves when working on a grinder - if you slip and the stone catches the glove, it'll pull you into the machine. Mind you we had much bigger grinders (~18-24" wheels from memory).

Cheers, Vann.

+1

I must admit I never watched the video, it's just a cheap grinder for primary bevel work. Will check out the video, sounds like a larf.

Latest posts

Back