Beginers lathe Ideas please?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sealover1

Established Member
Reaction score
well got my lathe now not sure what to start trying 1st. anyone got any ideas good for a beginner please?

pics or vid links be cool :)

Hi sealover
Not sure what your skill level is yet, why not try making a bowl and entering the summer challenge? (which I think ends on the 26th of this month) Look up Mike Waldt on youtube, he has a beginners guide to quite a few projects.
Cheers
Andy

Here's some ideas....assuming it's your first time turning.

Spindle turning a potato masher (looks like a German WWII hand grenade)

Spindle turning a foot massager - lots of beads and coves for practice

Apples and pears are a nice project too. Don't bother with bananas though, they'll drive you round the bend trying to get the shape.

Short, squat candlesticks are a nice and straightforward project. Use a glass insert from (OLRS (move the letters one back on the keyboard)) for a nice tealight holder.

Others will agree - it's worth getting a lesson or 3. IF nothing else, you'll get a feel for the ways in which a lathe and spinning wood can be dangerous, but also how to be effectie with tools etc. Having someone on or near your shoulder to throw questions at or to guide your stance and toolholding is invaluable and imho superior to youtube.

Keith Rowley's book is a must, if you haven't any books yet.

Enjoy!

no I won a prize years ago for best wood turner but were talking 30 years ago lol. been doing some but apart from rounding off a square bit of wood I was not sure what to start trying to make. Mike Waldt yea been looking at his stuff might try find a bit of wood for a bowl or something maybe

Spindle turning wise,
Garden dibbers
Honey Sticks
Spurtles
With a little faceplate work
Candle sticks
These are just the tip of the iceberg

sealover1":30e2wmrj said:
will google what they are lol

The top ones are the garden dibbers used for making holes in the ground to plant small plants or seeds and the lower are the honey sticks for getting honey out of jars instead of spoons
No picture of a spurtle but it is used to stir your porridge with
2014-08-02001002_zpse07e0a9f.jpg

Latest posts

Back