Becoming a qualified Carpenter

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dalejones

Established Member
Reaction score
Ok so I left school and from the ages 17- 21 I worked as a carpenters labourer, so I know a lot about it, went to college but only got very basic qualifications, mum passed away when I was 21 and it put a stop on my college work and progressing in the subject, I then started working for Tesco Maintence where I have been working for 4 years, I have always had my heart set on carpentry and I really want to go back to my roots, it's just finding the best route to get back on the horse!

I earn a decent wage at the moment so before I leave tesco I need to make sure I'm going in the right direction, I went to my local college and had a chat with the lecturers but my problem is without an employer I won't get the site evidence I need to finish the coarse, anyone got any advise? I'm currently thinking about finding an employer that would take me on and doing some sort of evening class that will help get my qualifications, I'm no beginner I can do all aspects of carpentry from cut roofs to fitted kitchens but without my papers and confidence I am struggling,

I am currently 26 if this helps, I also have a lot of tools/power tools and a large workshop garage where I do a lot of furniture making as a hobby, thanks for any advice and direction.

Who is it you want to work for?

Most carpenters I know are either self employed or work for a building firm -but these are mostly CIS not on the payroll.

Builders will be interested in your ability not your qualifications.

If think I would decide what sort of work you want to do; first fix, roofing, 2nd fix, kitchens, new build etc then research how much demand there is in your area.

Its worth looking on checkatrade, local magazines etc for carpenters and building firms.

To get established you will probably need to work for somebody as part experienced for a while until you can gain more experience and prove yourself. Find out what the day rate would be for that and work out how you can survive the shortfall from your current wage.

Dont forget if you want to do nee build, you will need 110v tools.

Most tradesmen are CIS so you would need to contact HMRC and find out how to register.

I want to avoid site work if I can I want to do 1st and second fix, kitchens, roofs, stairs etc, I'd rather work alongside a carpenter to be more one to one if I could rather than a large firm, more domestic work would be ideal, thanks for the reply!

Say you became a fully qualified carpenter (I'm not sure what that even means).
What would you be earning in comparision with your current wage ?
If there is not a vast difference is it worth the bother?
A bird in the hand and all that.

Turn your hobby into a none risk money making venture in your spare time and see how things develop.
Once the word gets round you do a good job you should pick up a decent amount of 2nd fix jobs from people doing up their own houses.
I've just finished the worst of a long term house refurb and the electrician was recommend by the plumber (who has done several jobs for me and my family in the past ) who now recommends the plasterer I used (who I have used before, but originally recommended by another friend, as was the painter). None of these people ever advertise all appear to have as much work as they want.

City & Guilds courses these days are often only two days a week even though they're called "full time". In order to get the paper qualification could you fit that in with your current employment, maybe Tesco would give you day release?

custard":2d2wnkot said:
City & Guilds courses these days are often only two days a week even though they're called "full time". In order to get the paper qualification could you fit that in with your current employment, maybe Tesco would give you day release?

The problem with this route if Tesco would release him to do the course is the work based evidence you need.

I have 2 lads on the carpentry and joinery course at the moment and even for us it can be a real pain to get the evidence in place for them, as they are at college 2 days a week and by the time they are back at work the job has moved on so they miss bits out, which they then have to do in the next job if they are not at college again.

Depending on what the OP wants to do it maybe worth asking around though, I have another guy who did a YTS when he was 16 and then was laid off so the employer could take another one on, he then spent the 15 years trying to get back into woodworking but having not being able to complete his city and guilds could not get a real break until I gave him ago, but although he is not qualified he could easily go up against a lot of guys with bits of paper.

There maybe someone in Swansea who like me may give him a chance.

If you don't like working at Tesco, you should certainly leave. But before doing that, try to speak to some carpenters to see if you can get a job with them.
You can look for carpenters online and contact them directly. I am sure that they will help you (if not with a job, maybe with an advice and a direction).
I think that's where you should start. You'll get some experience and you#ll be more confident.
As for becoming a qualified carpenter - it would certainly be useful as it will make it easier for you to get a job. Here's a link with more information about how to become one:
https://nationalcareersservice.dire...ning/jobprofiles/Pages/carpenterorjoiner.aspx - Read it entirely and you'll know what to do. You might even decide to go with an Apprenticeship.
Good luck!

Thanks for the advise guys, it's not that I don't like working for tesco it's just I really enjoy carpentry so I really wanted to do what I really enjoy, I'm not rushing into anything I'm going to keep my options open and ask about and see what comes back, thanks again for your replies

Dalejones":1jof2xag said:
I want to avoid site work if I can I want to do 1st and second fix, kitchens, roofs, stairs etc, !

Am I missing something here? (and it wouldn't be the first time) but you seem to be at odds with yourself - surely 1st and 2nd fix, roofs, stairs etc. are by definition "site work"?

That's just what I was thinking...I assumed the OP meant not multi-house building sites, rather he's happy with individual one off house works but not the "Wimpey Homes" syndrome....but....I could be wrong!

Im guessing it is site wotk on new builds you want to avoid rather site work?

With 4 years experience as a carpenters labourer, I would think you are likely to be skilled enough and quick enough to get back into carpentry. If the building trade is buoyant where you are, it is quite likely there is a shortage of skilled trademen around, so you might find there is the opportunity. Builders often have a semi skilled labourer working for them that can do general building work which will include a lot of 1st fix carpentry. What would be good is finding a builder that tends to prefer extensions or refurbs on listed and period properties. If you can get back into sitework, you will be able to network with lots of trades and it wont be long before you find the job you are looking for, or run your own business.

Plan for the career change -get rid of any debts and save some money so you have a buffer.

Random Orbital Bob":19qmsans said:
That's just what I was thinking...I assumed the OP meant not multi-house building sites, rather he's happy with individual one off house works but not the "Wimpey Homes" syndrome....but....I could be wrong!

That's exactly wot I meant, I don't want to be working on building sites basically I went to domestic work the odd roof here and there if you get me, I've worked on site before, didn't enjoy it 1 bit

I think you need to get the qualifications first before you start being fussy about the work you do. Then you may be able to pick and choose. You are going to have to be willing to work anywhere to start with.

I didn't really mean to sound fussy, I just don't want to work on big building sites, I'd rather stay where I am, I love carpentry I would like to do loft conversions and fitted kitchens and stuff like that

So to use builders parlance, you don't wan't to go house bashing, as in Taylor Wimpeys or Barretts etc
Sounds like You wan't to work in a 2, or 3 man band outfit and learn as much as possible and not just turn out first or second fix all day.
Ring around or call in any likely employers I suppose may be best, and remember good Tradesmen are not always easy to find.
Perhaps there's a pub the builders tend to use, like The Frog and Chisel, listen to what they say.
Regards Rodders

House bashing is soul destroying and some of the best joiners/carpenters i know have no paper qualifications, so there's nothing to stop you doing domestic work if you have the skillset. In fact, one of the best all round builders i know is a plumber by trade but he can do just about anything to a very good standard. There's no substitute for on the job learning and one of the old boys used to say to me, "forget all that b*****s you learn at college; that don't pay the bills".

Try and get a start with a building firm and learn as you go because even if you get the qualifications and get a job, with you not being an obvious young learner/apprentice, you will be expected to know what you are doing from the off. Qualifications are no good if someone points a to a big pile of timber and tells you to put a roof on an extension. When i went self employed, i worked with my bricky mate doing all manner of building jobs and now he works with another bricky and does all the joinery himself. He learned how to do it working with me, just as i learned how to lay bricks and plaster walls from him.

Back