bandsaws

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobbycrich

Reaction score
evening all, well I managed to build my new woodlathe work bench had enough timber to add a large drawer underneath & a cupboard on the left hand side fixed to the floor & wall, a very stable bench. Now my kids have decided I could do with a bandsaw so they are all giving me cash for my birthday this month but which make do I go for don`t want one that is to expensive also I don`t want a cheap one. I have been looking on the internet at some of the makes & models around the £200 to £275 mark but a lot of them don`t get very good recommendations, one make that I have taken a fancy to is called Scheppach Basato with only a couple of negatives. can anyone recommend this make or any other make that performs well any advice would be appreciated.

cheers

Any bandsaw in the price bracket you have chosen will have been built down to a price. There is nothing wrong with that, provided that you understand and accept what that means in practice. I'm not familiar with the little Scheppach itself, but I do have its big brother, the Basato 5 and have never regretted buying it (apart from the huge amount of space it takes up). You'll find a review of it on the Advice and Reviews forum.

If you can double your budget, you will have a much better chance of getting something you are happy with for a longer period of time. I can't offer specific recommendations, unfortunately, as it's been a long time since I've been in the market for one.

But as a guide, the ways in which tight budgets are met can be seen in things like the quality of the blade guides and their adjustments, the power of the motor, the quality and rigity and ease of adjustment of the fence.

Whatever you buy, forget the blade and buy new from Ian John at Tuffsaws. His blades are the best and not even terribly expensive. Not all bandsaw blades are the same.

Good luck
Steve

+1 for Tuffsaws blades. I only today put in a fresh 3/8" to do my turning blanks and its just so good its scary.

On the brand, if you can afford it I strongly recommend Record Power. They are built to a price but the quality is really good. The blade guides are bearings, the fence is solid, cast iron wheels and table and the motor has dealt with everything I've thrown at my BS300E. My primary use is cutting green timber into turning blanks which is easily the most demanding job of a bandsaw. The only limitation is the height of the blade guides. Next bandsaw for me will have a 12" gap and 16" throat but that's in the £1200 range. My RP has an 8" height which really means 7 and it does for most of my needs as I pre-process bigger logs with a chainsaw. The RP 5 yr guarantee paid dividends as I burnt the motor after about 4 years....no questions....replaced by return of post. Excellent customer service.

Thanks Steve & Bob I will take your comments on board will let you know what I buy , will add to birthday money to buy one to suit my needs as I have access to a chain saw so bigger logs won`t be an issue.

+ 1 for a Record Power band saw. I have just purchased a RP bs300 and am well impressed with it. For your budget you could afford a second hand Record Power BS250 or for a little more (£250) you could get a brand new one. I also recommend blades from Ian at Tuffsaws.

I would go for a second hand Kity...I absolutely love mine and you can pick one up for around your budget. Simple to set up, robust and accurate. I would invest in blades from Tuff Saws and also Steve Maskery's bandsaw setup DVD - both are good Monet well-spent. I've just been ripping soaking wet green oak to the maximum which would fit under the guides (8 inches from memory) and a couple of mm at a time and it coped without a problem.

Latest posts

Back