bandsaws AXMINISTER AND RECORD POWER TO BUY

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ibcallus

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Gang,
I am looking at two band saws and would like your advice on which one to buy, or suggestions for better bandsaws.
The Axminster AWSBS2, and the Record BS250 all of which are within my price band of £200, and have the capacity to cut up to 120mm maximum.
The machine would be used in making vintage car models approx 10 to 18 inches, Also for general woodworking but nothing heavy.
I would like the bandsaw to cut accurately through 4" [100mm] of assorted hardwoods, although my main wood is predominately red pine.
I'd be well pleased if someone could point me in the right direction.
ibcallus

Sorry but £200 for a bandsaw :?

You would be better off buying a used saw from ebay , you will then end up with a saw that cost £450 £500 when new

Much better option :wink:

Blister":dwae0a8n said:
Sorry but £200 for a bandsaw :?

You would be better off buying a used saw from ebay , you will then end up with a saw that cost £450 £500 when new

Much better option :wink:

although if you dont know anything about what you are buying you could also wind up with a heap of junk not worth even two hundred notes.

That baby rexon i bought off you 18 months back would have been sub 200 new and its still doing me proud - it depends on what the OP wants to do with the saw.

In answer to the OPs question we have the axminster one at work and its okay if you dont want to cut more than about 3" depth. - if you regularly want to rip more than that you need something with more oomph.

I have a Record (bigger than the one you mention), and think it is very good. Not without its faults, but I doubt many are.

Having said that, with a budget of £200 I would buy something like an Elektra Beckum 316 off e-bay. Better bandsaw for the money.

Cheers

Karl

I can't fault my Record but I also have no comparison - it being the only bandsaw I've ever owned. However... mine is currently £430 so over twice your budget.

As others have said... Seconhand or... D&M tool show is coming up (6th-8th Nov) and Record usually do some quite good offers.

Hi gang sorry about not posting,
i have been looking at startrites and a elektra beckum 240v tilting bandsaw, i am very gratefull for your advice being an oap it certainly helps, thank you very much.

ibcallus

I have to say I have some Record kit - a large mortiser - and it's excellent.

There's nothing wrong with the Record bandsaws compared to other brands, in my opinion. They've had criticism in the past (based on comments I've read) but their after sales service and technical help has improved no-end within the last two-to-three years. My own experience in dealing with them (mainly on extractors) has been nothing short of excellent.

It may look 'gimmicky' but I quite like the shiny, friction-free surfaces on their bandsaw tables. If you're cutting a lot of sawn timber then it makes a big difference to the ease of using your saw. :)

Back to the original post...

If you're looking for a saw to rip 100mm thick then, seriously, look for something that'll do at least 200mm or thereabout. Otherwise, you'll only be asking too much of the motor if you do it too often. Of course, you will often get much more for your money buying old, second-hand kit, if you are prepared to spend a little time cleaning up and fettling. If I could go back three-years, that's what I'd have done instead of buying a cheaper saw with Chaiwanese origins... :oops:

I also think most band saw problems arise from the user

Not having a go here but , a first time user with his new saw :?

does not know how to set everything up , and yes there is lots to set up :shock:

I had a band saw book , it had about 200 pages on checking , setting , and using a saw .

I though it was a joke :lol: , 200 pages , but it was all relevant :wink:

I bought a Record Select bandsaw 8 years ago (One of the blue Chinese manufactured ones whereas the green ones were made in the UK and cost 50% more at the time).

After much neglect in the garage it needed a new motor (water from the leaky roof poured out of the old one when I unbolted it), new tyres and new bearings on the wheels.

One phone call to record got me a conversation with a very nice lady who was able to find all of the parts for me and confirm that they were in stock (even though the saw had been discontinued for 4 years at this point). Deliver was prompt and it was all well packaged.

When I had some problems fitting the parts due to having lost the manual a nice person from the technical support team sent a PDF via email and was willing to answer my questions about how exactly to get the wheels off and then realigned.

All in all, it may not be the best bandsaw in the world, but the customer service has been excellent.

Back