Bandsaw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sapper

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm looking for a bit of guidance, I'm an OAP in fact I'm at the tender age of 86. About 18 months ago I bought a Record 300E bandsaw with the intention making a new hobby. I've always done woodwork in an amateur way but never had a bandsaw so I was thinking of trying to turn out some bandsaw boxes I also bought the Record wheel kit and fitted that, started to use it and then, in a nasty fall, I broke my back I was then informed I had advanced Osteoporosis and would be liable to more fractures if not careful. After sometime recovering to some extent, I tried using the saw but couldn't move it even with the wheel kit fitted.My son who is an engineer fitted some more heavy duty castors which lifts it just clear of the ground, it makes moving it a doddle but I still couldn't stand there using it, bending and lifting timber and stood at the saw is too painful, and I don't give in to things easily.

So the saw has done, in total, less than an hours work so stands there in brand new condition not a mark on it anywhere and still under guarantee. It came with the Record blades plus two Tuff blades which the forum advised me to buy. I also bought the Sheppach dust extractor which I guess has had about 15 min use.

So in effect both are as brand new and completely unmarked, but of course they're not new so question is, before I put them in the for sale section, what would you suggest, realistically, I should I ask for them If, for arguments sake, you were after one what would you be prepared to pay?

I really would appreciate your suggestions and thanks in advance.

Hi sapper , very sorry to hear of your accident , hope you have recovered , even sadder ghe fact that you never got the chance to use it and produce some boxes . Yes i and probably others will of course say its not new but as its litteraly just out of the box id describe it as AS NEW . If anyone is planning to buy a simmilar saw then how much would below the average price would they pay - £50 -£75 imo is fair . But then you have to take delivery into consideration too . Your best bet is someone local to you buying it as what i would be thinking is if i buy it brand new ill most likely get free delivery and im the first person to open up thd box .. maybe consider it as a job lot and take £100 of your total and advertise it as buyer collects . Why not sweeten the deal and throw in the tuffsaw blades gratis to offset the buyers collection costs - just my opinion ..good luck ..

Really sorry to hear about the medical conditions and that you are no longer able to make the boxes that you brought the bandsaw for. To buy that saw new is £650, and a further £77 for the wheel kit but you can get free shipping.

Record Power BS300E Premium Bandsaw - Biven Machinery Sales

The saw would be a great first saw for someone getting into woodwork and it is more new than many you see for sale but would you be able to offer shipping or would it be collection only ? You are not to far from places like Derby, Nottingham or Leicester so some big places where someone might buy and collect but as for price, that is not so easy. I would take a picture and place it in the forsale section at £500 and see what happens, you could see what interest there is and then decide if you want to alter the price later.

I'll give it some thought overnight and decide just what I would take for it all and also some ideas on the delivery aspect.
Thanks for your kind thoughts so far really is appreciated.

May I suggest you ask your son to look at making an air cushion to move the bandsaw. There are a number of uTube videos on how to make one. With an air cushion, you will be able to move the saw with your little finger.

Thanks for that mate but with the castors he fitted the saw moves really easily even though my garage has got industrial carpet on the floor.

Thanks for that mate but with the castors he fitted the saw moves really easily even though my garage has got industrial carpet on the floor.
Must admit I never gave the floor a thought. I have the b s 350 on the rise and fall wheel kit but my floor is laminate and I have no problem moving it around and I suffer with back pain .

Very sorry to hear of your issues. I think you would get £650 to £700 if you include the purchase costs for everything you have bought, especially if you put it on something like Gumtree.

Thanks for all your help and advice, I had tot up just using Yandles prices which are,
Bandsaw £650,
Wheel set £75
Sheppach dust extractor £120
Comes to £845.
I will toss in the two tuff saw blades, can't remember what they cost?
As previously said I've got the original receipt and books so there's still 3.1/2 years warranty left .I was thinking myself originally of asking about £500 but then you mention about carriage?
My lad works away a lot but he said he could pop down one evening when home and take the saw off it's stand. He reckons 2 reasonably fit men plus my help (as it is), could easily lift the saw into the back of a van and they would travel better that way.
So, if I ask £450 for the saw that leaves £50 for carriage which should easily cover anyone who has, or can get the use of a van. I think this would be a fair deal what do you think?
Hope this all makes sense.

Thanks for all your help and advice, I had tot up just using Yandles prices which are,
Bandsaw £650,
Wheel set £75
Sheppach dust extractor £120
Comes to £845.
I will toss in the two tuff saw blades, can't remember what they cost?
As previously said I've got the original receipt and books so there's still 3.1/2 years warranty left .I was thinking myself originally of asking about £500 but then you mention about carriage?
My lad works away a lot but he said he could pop down one evening when home and take the saw off it's stand. He reckons 2 reasonably fit men plus my help (as it is), could easily lift the saw into the back of a van and they would travel better that way.
So, if I ask £450 for the saw that leaves £50 for carriage which should easily cover anyone who has, or can get the use of a van. I think this would be a fair deal what do you think?
Hope this all makes sense.
Given the use it’s had and the circumstances that have led to your decision to sell I think this is very reasonable. Hope you can purchase something else with the proceeds to continue with your woodworking. I seriously hope I’m still able to continue with mine if I make it to 86 so my hat that I don’t wear is certainly off to you. Good luck 🤞

To put in another perspective I paid £350.00 for a near new BS350 with wheel kit and half a dozen TuffSaw blades fitted with Yandles blade guide, I think an estimate of somewhere near that is more realistic.

Back