Bandsaw table/Good machinists shops in west yorkshire?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The support structure will move with it
I've had a couple of those crappy pressed steel tables before
Cast tables were only fitted on higher models of newer startrites

Ian

flh801978":h88y61od said:
The support structure will move with it
I've had a couple of those crappy pressed steel tables before
Cast tables were only fitted on higher models of newer startrites

Ian

Ah I see. The issue with the table is not a bend as such. It's more like its been worn down. Think a channel/cradle worn into the top. To flatten the support structure would have to be moved, otherwise you'd have a void directly above where the dips are when flattening and just crush the support pieces. It's hard for me to explain and kinda difficult to photograph.

I think on balance, the only way forward is to create some kind of new top. Looking at doing something with plastic as I seem to struggle in finding ply which is flat enough for this purpose.

YorkshireMartin":16ujz5g3 said:
Ah I see. The issue with the table is not a bend as such. It's more like its been worn down. Think a channel/cradle worn into the top. To flatten the support structure would have to be moved, otherwise you'd have a void directly above where the dips are when flattening and just crush the support pieces. It's hard for me to explain and kinda difficult to photograph.

I think on balance, the only way forward is to create some kind of new top. Looking at doing something with plastic as I seem to struggle in finding ply which is flat enough for this purpose.
Maybe a daft idea, but could you attach a not-too-thick sheet of hardwood to the top, then (with the blade removed) skim it flat using a hand plane. It doesn't need to be micron flat - that's not really necessary for a bandsaw; flat enough that it looks OK against a rule would be acceptable.

sploo":2p1uavha said:
YorkshireMartin":2p1uavha said:

Maybe a daft idea, but could you attach a not-too-thick sheet of hardwood to the top, then (with the blade removed) skim it flat using a hand plane. It doesn't need to be micron flat - that's not really necessary for a bandsaw; flat enough that it looks OK against a rule would be acceptable.

Nah it's not a daft idea sploo. I just dont have a bench plane suitable for doing it unfortunately.

I've taken everyones ideas on board and I'm going to have a go at fashioning something. Just not entirely sure what yet. lol

YorkshireMartin":172amldx said:
Nah it's not a daft idea sploo. I just dont have a bench plane suitable for doing it unfortunately.

I've taken everyones ideas on board and I'm going to have a go at fashioning something. Just not entirely sure what yet. lol
You could try asking in the hand tools forum - if there's anyone local to you I'm sure they'd be happy to help. It should literally be 10 minutes work (unless you somehow managed to find an exotic hardwood with a really evil grain!

Back