Bandsaw Advice Please...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimD

Reaction score
Hi

I am looking at buying a Bandsaw. Although I have used one a long time ago, I consider myself a complete novice and am trying to get to grips with what I should be looking out for.

The 2 models I'm considering are the Record Power BS250, and the Axminster HBS250N. The spec of the 2 machines look extremely similar, to the point of asking the question - are they the same basic machine, with cosmetic differences? Which would be preferable as a first Bandsaw purchase?

I appreciate the models and price range I am looking at are at the bottom end of the scale, but as long as I keep within the recommended sized work pieces, will I get accurate and true cuts? My concern is that low end machinery compromises the finished cut.

Any advice much appreciated.

Tim

Hi Tim,
The difference between those two similar bandsaws is that Record do have a 5 year guarantee and have the reputation of good service. Axminster are also good at service I understand, although I have not had any large equipment from them.

Two things that determine how well a bandsaw will cut are the quality of blade and Tuffsaw blades are considered to be the best. The second thing is how well the machine it 'tuned' to work well, as it is not just a matter of switching it on.

There are plenty of video's on the subject of tuning and differing methods to get the best out of your bandsaw. The other thing to consider is that if you were to buy equipment when a show is on, you can often get a discount and sometimes free delivery. These can make a difference to the initial price.

This site has lots of enthuisatic members who will be happy to help you when you have made your choice, but I am rather biased as I have a bandsaw and a Planer/Thicknesser that are both Record and I am very pleased with them.

Alex

I bought the Record BS250 as my first bandsaw and whilst I've only used it about a dozen times so far. I'm very happy with it and find the cuts very accurate, as long as it's been set up properly of course.
The five year warranty was a factor in buying, as was the reduced show price and the wealth of information available from other forum members and Record themselves.
The first thing I did (on recommendation from this forum) was contact Tuffsaws and was given some excellent advice on the best blades for my needs. The service, advice and quality of the blades was second to none.

I too went for the Record (350-s) a little more than I wanted to spend but now glad I pushed the boat out. Not made anything yet, just doing a bit of cutting and getting used to the machine. I paid £699 plus delivery, wheel system and 3 extra blades thrown in. This is my first band saw and I just can't understand why I didn’t get one before.

I've had a HBS350N (bigger brother of the HBS250N) for many years (Tuff saw blades) no problems and still working fine.

Record power after sales service and spare parts availability are excellent..

I have the Axy 250. I bought it fairly cheap so I can't complain.

If I was in the same position again I would have bought the next size up and gone for the Makita lbf1200f. The Axy just doesn't have enough grunt to resaw Oak at reasonable depths and can get easily bogged down in tighter curves - even with a Tuffsaw blade.

Sent from my MI 3W using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back