'Badger' Plane

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eoinsgaff

Established Member
Reaction score
This has to be worth a look. It's some piece of work....

http://sauerandsteiner.blogspot.com/

Check out the lee valley page, linked in the first paragraph of Sauer's blog, where the fabrication of this plane is described in more detail.

Not sure if I see the point of this plane but any comments would be welcome.

Regards

Eoin

eoinsgaff":3tpgz89e said:
Not sure if I see the point of this plane but any comments would be welcome.

I have had and used an ancient wooden Badger plane for years that I bought for a song in a junk shop back in the '70's.

Although it had not been used much throughout its previous life, it was in very good nick but a bit tricky to fettle, but once all that was sorted out it's a great piece of kit.

Basically it is a heavy duty shoulder plane for long rebates and fielding straight-sided panels, which is where it suits my type of work.

Not the type of plane that you reach for every day, but when it is needed there's no substitute and given the hand-work that I prefer these days I wouldn't be without it.

I can't afford or feel justified with the prices that S & S seem to command so I'll stay with my old friend.

That S&S stuff is simply gorgeous and THIS is why I love Brazilian rosewood:

badgerinfillbun2.jpg

WOW! Simply WOW!

badgerinfillend2.jpg

Nice to see even experts cr*p their pants when drilling the final bits! Mind you...his version of difficult is my version of nigh on impossible...

Very very inspirational!

Thanks for posting that Eoin....you have my taste to a tee!!

Jim

Given the prices S+S charge for the more 'stock' items, given that this appeared to be a one off commission and given the difficulties Konrad Sauer seemed to have making it I'd hate to see the bill for this plane...

I think it might take a significant 'lump' off someone's mortgage. Still, we all stretch our means to finance the 'slope'.

Eoin

Jim,
its very impressive alright. I would love to try out one of Konrads smoothing planes sometime. To me, his wood selection is second to none.

Eoin

eoinsgaff":13dg9tmu said:
Jim,
its very impressive alright. I would love to try out one of Konrads smoothing planes sometime. To me, his wood selection is second to none.

Eoin
I did, a while ago. A member here who recently completed a rather tasty tool cabinet has a full set of S&S planes...and I was the first to try them out - Rob

Latest posts

Back