Backing veneer question.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

n0legs

Established Member
Reaction score
Does a backing veneer (ie, on the inside of a cupboard or the underside of cabinet top), have to be the same species as the outer veneer ?
Is it considered to be good or better practice to use the same both sides because it's a "you know it's there" sort of thing and are there any technical reasons to use the same veneer ?
Thanks in advance :D

No, if it is not seen just use whatever is cheap (or you already have in stock)

marcros":21wpwomz said:
No, if it is not seen just use whatever is cheap (or you already have in stock)

Okay thanks Marcros that's kind of what I thought :lol:

Mr T":21wpwomz said:
No. as long as it's the same thickness and orientation.

Chris

Hi Chris,
Obviously you mean grain running the same way ? What if there was a layout style on the pretty side, would you do the same design/style on the backing side ?

If it's not to be seen it shouldn't matter what species - no point in using expensive or exotic. If it will be seen occasionally (the inside of a door for example) then it's a matter of aesthetics. Whatever you user, make sure that they are (more or less) the same thickness (i.e. don't use construction veneer on one side and standard veneer on the other), and finished in the same way.

Woodcrafts":1aiq6el2 said:
If it's not to be seen it shouldn't matter what species - no point in using expensive or exotic. If it will be seen occasionally (the inside of a door for example) then it's a matter of aesthetics. Whatever you user, make sure that they are (more or less) the same thickness (i.e. don't use construction veneer on one side and standard veneer on the other), and finished in the same way.

Hi Woodcrafts,
Thanks for the advice, much appreciated :D

Back