Axminster TS-200 arbor wobble

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JakeS

Established Member
Reaction score
I've just noticed a problem with my table saw (An Axminster TS-200 that's about four years old, so without the modern refinements) - it seems to have developed a bit of an alignment problem that seems to stem from some wobble in the arbor*.

I took the blade off to investigate, and found that the arbor can be moved a millimetre or two by hand - and as you can see in the quick video I took today, it puts the blade 3-4mm out from the riving knife at the top. I noticed a couple of weeks ago that the blade was no longer flush against the edge of my cross-cut sled, but that was assembled very hastily and has some slop in the runner, so I assumed at the time that it was just due to that.

Video illustrating problem:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlZ7lTQzyD4

It seems like the whole thing has slipped down to a new position that has the blade out of alignment and I think at a slight angle. When I press it up into the correct position, it feels like I'm pushing against a heavy spring which pushes it back out of alignment when I let go. Running the machine without the blade on the arbor doesn't wobble at all, and I can leave a finger against it and not feel any variation - it's pretty stable, it's just stable in the wrong position!

I've double-checked everything is tightened up properly, but since I'm in the middle of a project (which I'm going to have to use the trusty Lidl track saw for, I guess!) I'm not in a position to open the whole thing up and have a closer look yet. In fact, I'm not even sure how to proceed, since I believe the motor is attached to the top and the height wheel - which must be attached internally - sticks out the front... Does anyone have any idea what could cause this, and where I could start trying to fix it? If it were actually loose and moved while running I'd assume it was a bearing problem, but it doesn't seem how I'd expect a bearing problem to manifest?

* (Or 'arbour'? I know we spell the tree version with a 'u', but I've never seen the shaft version spelled that way and if I recall correctly the Latin root doesn't have one.)

Assuming there is no wear to the rise and fall pivot,
Then I would say, Bearings worn due to either wear and tear, or over tightened drive belt(s).
I would also say the belt is helping with the rocking you have.
Regards Rodders

blackrodd":346ixqp9 said:
Assuming there is no wear to the rise and fall pivot,
Then I would say, Bearings worn due to either wear and tear, or over tightened drive belt(s).
I would also say the belt is helping with the rocking you have.
Regards Rodders

For what it's worth: there's no wear on the rise-and-fall pivot; the carriage is completely stationary, it's only the arbour that's moving. The drive belt seems fine to me - there's a good amount of deflection in it. I guess that does really leave just the bearings, but it still doesn't feel like a bearing problem to me. If nothing else, it's a lot of movement for the amount of use I've had out of the saw!

I'd be curious if other TS-200 owners have had similar issues; I don't think I've seen mention of any, but if the bearings were really so cheap/dodgy that they get this bad just through a few years' hobby wear and tear, you'd expect to see a lot! I guess I could have just got a duff pair. I guess I'll just have to get it all out and have a look...

1mm play in a bearing is huge but what can happen is that if the bearing becomes stiff for any reason, it can slip on the shaft or in its housing and those components can wear quickly.
Bad news is that if this has happened, repair is much much more complex than just changing bearings. Find a local friend who can have a detailed look and who will have the measuring gear to workout what has worn where.

Good Luck

I got a call from a friendly chap at Axminster today, and thankfully it seems finish_that was closest. I spent my lunchtime taking the side panel off of the saw, and indeed the two nuts that hold the arbour into the housing had come loose enough that I could undo them with my fingers. Now I've got them tightened up again, the arbour doesn't move at all and the blade is perfectly aligned with the riving knife again. I'm a bit perplexed as to why it didn't move in and out but only rotated (maybe the belt was holding it in place?), but I'm not going to argue since it all seems in fine fettle again. And it's a lot easier a repair than some of the alternatives sounded - Bob's worn-housing theory sounded the most plausible, since there was no dodgy-bearing noise or feeling to the rotation, and the thought of repairing that almost kept me awake at night!

So if any fellow TS-200 owners ever have the same problem, check that first. Not least because my first instinct was to flip it upside down and get in like that, but actually you have basically no access to the arbour at all from below, the motor would have been completely in the way. The side panel is the way to go!

Thanks to all for your help! (And it's worth repeating: kudos to Axminster for taking the time to call me back and help me resolve an issue on a thing that's a year out of warranty.)

Well done for resolving the problem, I would think you're pleased to know it was nothing drastic.
Would shake proof washers help for long term fix, or even a splodge of Loctite?
Full marks for Axminster's customer service, they do seem to understand repeat business don't they?
Regards Rodders

blackrodd":1gqbedfk said:

Yeah, I'll be putting some Loctite on there - I just want to run it for a bit without as a stress test, just in case there is any wear anywhere as a result of the previous looseness. I don't want to find myself having trouble getting the nuts off again!

JakeS":14wbfvxj said:
blackrodd":14wbfvxj said:

Yeah, I'll be putting some Loctite on there - I just want to run it for a bit without as a stress test, just in case there is any wear anywhere as a result of the previous looseness. I don't want to find myself having trouble getting the nuts off again!

Good thinking, be very careful with you're nuts!
Rodders

Back