Axminster engineer series SB-16 floor standing pillar drill

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jamie Copeland

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi folks

I'm considering buying this pillar drill from Axminster. Do any of you own one? I'd be interested in any reviews. There's only one on the Axminster site.

Cheers

Jamie

I'm looking for a pillar drill too but I can't imagine what this one does to justify that price. I'm told there isn't a new built one that exists which is a patch on the decades old second hand stuff you might find if you're lucky and patient.

Personally I want to buy new but don't know which one to get as none of the imports are quality. Unless you lived in the USA where you can get a powermatic or delta.

Maybe go and have a good look yourself if you're anywhere near one of the Axminster stores.

Hi Jamie,
Ive got an axminster pillar drill, its probably 10 yesrs old now but it looks quite similar to the SB16. When Im back in the workshop on Monday Ill have a look and check to see what model number it has.

Its quite good, robust and accurate. Definitely a chinese made import. The castings etc are a bit rough.

As usual, an old uk made machine will be better engineered and better value but the problem is always finding one locally.

I went to Axminster for the first time today and saw it there. It was clearly better than the cheaper non engineering models but I still think I felt a bit of play in the quill. The Jet JDP 2800VS was to me more sturdy and solid but even that has some pretty unconvincing reviews.

What happened to the "trade" level machines I wonder?

I went through this too last year, except I wanted a bench mounted not floor mounted. Looked at Axminster and Jet too. Was unimpressed with castings, finish, quill. Eventually bought a re-conditioned Fobco Star which is gimmick free and bomb proof. 300 mile round trip and worth it as the quality difference is enormous. I would only buy new for this kind of tool if I was in a hurry.

Email to Axminster:

"Hi

Today I've taken delivery of the Axminster Engineer Series SB-16 Floor Pillar Drill, code: 505208.

Whilst I'm satisfied with the drill itself, I've found the experience of setting the item up very difficult and frustrating.

Once I signed for the delivery the driver left me. I then had to work out how to get the drill out and onto the floor. This involved sawing, hammering and unscrewing parts of the wooden frame and then as I was on my own I nearly seriously injured myself by sliding the machine off of the wooden plinth and onto the floor. From there I found the instruction manual to be truly dreadful. It has very grainy images and one line instructions. I struggled to work though the instructions and at one point had to call Axminster to report the chuck was missing only to be told that it comes in with the belts during delivery. This should have been communicated to me by the driver or on the instructions.

Having never bought a brand new machine like this before I had no idea how to remove the packing grease and so I had to search the internet for the answerer. I used white spirits which worked very well, but again this should have been somehow communicated to me. Setting up the belts was probably the worst part as there is so many things to move about in order to fit them. The chuck key which is provided is not easy to use. It's more like a spanner and it frequently slips out of the hole when tightening the chuck. A traditional chuck key would have been far better. The light which comes fitted to the drill is of little benefit as the bulb is so dull and I find it almost impossible to get it to stay in the position I want.

I would strongly urge you to consider offering an installation service on bulky machinery like this. Knowing what I know now I would definitely have paid for such a service as setting it up myself has been unnecessarily difficult. If I buy a heavy product like this again in the future I will search around to see if another company provides an installation service and I would buy through them.

Regards"

Jamie, there was a firm some while back that advertised that all their new machinery could be delivered cleaned of packing grease and packaging, be set up in workshop and left ready to use. I remember and old friend of mine (now departed) singing their praises.

Was it Warco?

I can sympathise with your experience Jamie, as I had issues unpacking my bandsaw (from a different supplier) when it turned up. It was bolted to a pallet from underneath.. Quite scary to move around.

I completely agree with the other comments your made. It would be quite easy for them to include a leaflet explaining about the grease and the chuck location etc

Interestingly I bought a 16" Jet Bandsaw from Axminster very recently. The delivery driver turned up early. Unloaded it on his own. Wheeled it about 100m to my workshop (used my trolley as it was bigger than his) up two steps and across wet grass. Unpacked it from the crate whilst I made tea. Got it up another step into my workshop and checked it over. Made sure all parts were there and that I was happy. Checked it powered up. Gave me spare blade. I thought the service was outstandingly good.

AJB Temple":35i0s49l said:
Interestingly I bought a 16" Jet Bandsaw from Axminster very recently. The delivery driver turned up early. Unloaded it on his own. Wheeled it about 100m to my workshop (used my trolley as it was bigger than his) up two steps and across wet grass. Unpacked it from the crate whilst I made tea. Got it up another step into my workshop and checked it over. Made sure all parts were there and that I was happy. Checked it powered up. Gave me spare blade. I thought the service was outstandingly good.

That's precisely the service I would have expected. Was it Axminster Logistics that delivered yours?

I think that's the drill I've got.

Drill-1.jpg

I'd spent over a year looking for a used Meddings but without luck. I was in Axminster buying a new drum sander and I was offered a good deal on this as a package so took it.

The trade off for a woodworker is between accuracy and capacity. The drills sold as "woodworking" will tend to have more throat depth and greater drilling depth, but they won't have the accuracy. As the saying goes "you pays your money and you takes your choice".

This drill is bob on accurate, delivering very clean and repeatable holes even at it's maximum capacity, there's no run out that I can measure (even with some fairly sophisticated measuring kit), the depth stop is superb (way better than a Fobco I'd used in a previous workshop) you can easily set it to a quarter of a mill without any faffing about with slip gauges, it all functions very smoothly, and I've used it to make some extremely demanding furniture pieces like the fold out wings for drop leaf tables.

The trade off is limited capacity. So for example I've had to redesign the air hole pattern for the ply bases I use for drop-in upholstered chair seats,

Drill-2.jpg

Nothing in this world is perfect and one criticism I'd make is the drill table, which is clearly designed for engineering rather than woodwork and uses non-standard T-nuts which weren't included. That was a right old faff and I'm still not completely happy with the result.

Regarding delivery, I really didn't think that was a problem. Pretty much all new machinery comes protected with a thick layer of grease and I'd judge that a good thing. Although it's a big old lump it's easy enough to "walk it" off the pallet and manoeuvre it around the workshop, after all look at the massive stuff Wallace humps around even with his dodgy back! The Axminster delivery driver went "above and beyond" as they always have with me so no criticisms there.

I always think it's a bit soppy when you read these fan boy reviews where someone raves about a machine like a love struck teenager, so I'll avoid that by just saying it's a decent bit of kit that does most of the important things I ask of it in a commercial workshop, but hey, there's always room for improvement. If the specs work for you and you get a decent price then go for it, if not keep looking, there's plenty of choices out there.

Good luck!

Attachments

• Drill-1.jpg
    Drill-1.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 1,498
  • Drill-2.jpg
    Drill-2.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 1,498
Jamie - to answer your question, the machine was delivered by an Axminster logistics guy from Devon, in a big truck. It actually came from the Sittingbourne store and he picked it up. Normally stuff goes back to Devon and is sent out from there I understand, but in this case I was on his route. He arrived at 6.30am. Could not have been more friendly or helpful and I wrote to Axminster to say so.

Very good comments from Custard above I think. I would have been happy with any of the quality industrial drills and had looked around for a while before settling on the Fobco Star. It runs dead true but the depth stop arrangement as Custard says does require manual set up as it is a twin screw thread set up but the setting scale is basic. Some come with much more refined scales - there is a lot of variation about. Mine came with an oil cooling drip feed accessory - not that useful for woodwork! I agree that drills that are designed for engineering seem to be much less sloppy that the DIY / light trade / woodworking drills. My dad was a mechanical engineer (toolmaker for high performance engines) and so is my brother, so I did enlist family help a bit. Engineering bench drills, like mine, do have limited capacity, but as mine is just a private workshop, not trade, I can live with this.

Incidentally, it is also quite a job to find good quality vices for use on a drill press. Most of the modern ones are sloppy beyond belief. But for woodwork home made jigs are probably more important.

AJB makes a very good point about vices, that's another black mark for the SB-16 on account of the odd T-nuts. Incidentally, the Fobco I used had a very good rise and fall mechanism that was in two stages, you locked one off then released the other, which resulted in one of the very, very few pillar drills I've ever seen that allowed you to accurately extend the drill depth.

Jamie Copeland":rlph4gsm said:
The chuck key which is provided is not easy to use. It's more like a spanner and it frequently slips out of the hole when tightening the chuck. A traditional chuck key would have been far better.

Something wrong there then, the SB-16 as provided by Axminster comes with a keyless chuck that doesn't need any tooling to operate it.

Latest posts

Back