Axminster AW2260s planer thicknesser

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kzaji

Reaction score
Hello, looking to get a planer thicknesser and I'm wanting a nice solid machine but the Mrs isn't onboard with me spending 500+ on an old, used machine. She's all about warranty and hates it when I buy things second hand incase I have an issue and can't take it back. Plus, I'm not very good with fixing up machines, and collection would be difficult for me.

I'm getting real tired of jointing and planning to thickness by hand so the next logical toy for me is a jointer. I've looked at the options for new and the cheaper options don't seem to get good reviews. The two that I've found are the itech and this one from Axminster Axminster Workshop AW2260S Planer Thicknesser Spiral Block - 230V

Itech gets great reviews but is a lot more expensive. The Axminster one looks super similar though, but I can't find anything about it because it's a new model I think. I don't really know much about them or what I'm really looking for.

Can someone who knows what they're looking at let me know if it's a good machine for the price? Or does anyone have experience of it?

I have Axminsters band saw and I'm pretty happy with that. I'm hoping this is equally as well built.

Cheers.

I think that generally there's a difference between a portable power tool and a floor standing machine in that I'd expect a power tool to work properly straight out of the box, whereas with a stationary machine I'd expect to have to check it over and set it up. So there's a certain mindset involved.

This would apply whether the item was used or new. But you need a willingness to get stuck in.

My own preference would be for an older, used machine, almost certainly of British or European manufacture, given that the quality control tended to be better than many more recent offerings from far-flung places ...

I think the Itech is the better machine and I prefer original knives compared to either spiral or helix, but because of the easy fitting it would be the Tersa system. Many of these machines have a lot in common, they are often re badged clones all coming out of the same factory. If you are offered a Holtzman then don't bother, not good reviews.

I think the Itech is the better machine and I prefer original knives compared to either spiral or helix, but because of the easy fitting it would be the Tersa system. Many of these machines have a lot in common, they are often re badged clones all coming out of the same factory. If you are offered a Holtzman then don't bother, not good reviews.

That's interesting, most people I've read suggest to get the spiral head because it's easier to replace/sharpen and lasts longer, is it personal preference or have I misread? I saw the holtzmans whilst looking but I'm reluctant to buy anything from b&q. The Axminster machine looks a hell of a lot like the itech one, same features it seems, but it's almost a grand cheaper, not sure why. Plus I know and have used the Axminster brand before, and their CS is pretty good.

I think that generally there's a difference between a portable power tool and a floor standing machine in that I'd expect a power tool to work properly straight out of the box, whereas with a stationary machine I'd expect to have to check it over and set it up. So there's a certain mindset involved.

This would apply whether the item was used or new. But you need a willingness to get stuck in.

My own preference would be for an older, used machine, almost certainly of British or European manufacture, given that the quality control tended to be better than many more recent offerings from far-flung places ...
Seems like most people suggest the older machines for everything, and I'd love a nice rock solid one but I don't think I'm experienced enough to know whether it's a good buy, and I'm currently doing driving lessons so collecting one is not easy. Might not be the cheapest/best option but buying new is more reassuring for me, and primarily, the Mrs. It's a lot of money.

I'm okay with setting it up, I got my band saw set up just right after a few YouTube videos and tinkering. I was originally going to get the bench top versions as they're much cheaper but I don't want to have to buy again down the line, whether because I've out grown them or they break.

Cheers

Another thing is that the idea of part-time woodworkers needing sophisticated, high budget planing heads seems to me to be a consumerist indulgence. Changing and setting a pair of simple knives is easy and quick whatever your preferred method is. We are resourceful and determined makers, after all, not unskilled factory hands. Don't fall for it. Use your head.

Another thing is that the idea of part-time woodworkers needing sophisticated, high budget planing heads seems to me to be a consumerist indulgence. Changing and setting a pair of simple knives is easy and quick whatever your preferred method is. We are resourceful and determined makers, after all, not unskilled factory hands. Don't fall for it. Use your head.
A spiral head is the successor to the old knives though, isn't it? From what I've read they're better in almost every aspect? If I'm buying new, and I want to buy once, I thought that was the better option.

The alternative I found was to go bench top, and most of those either don't come with a cast iron bed, have a floppy fence, have bad reviews or are 6". Going up the budget, plus forking out for an equal quality thicknesser, doesn't really work out much cheaper.

I found it hard to judge the differences, and to even find them (seems Google results are limited to only a few shops), hence the thread.

From what I've read they're better in almost every aspect?
I suspect that any advantages will be miniscule or imagined. Vendors can have a vested interest in selling a more sophisticated product because it will be higher-priced and thus their mark-up will be greater. Marketing can be a kind of conspiracy with the shopper as willing victim.

But I think you're right to eschew the lightweight bench-top 'joke' machinery, and are essentially on a good track. The aim is good work, and efficiency, and a basic of this is that work should come from the machine with a certain accuracy of straightness / rectangularity that doesn't need further fettling.

When you buy a machine you take certain chances - newness doesn't guarantee goodness. So it's a dive into the unkown whichever way you go. At some point you have to be brave!

If you are offered a Holtzman then don't bother, not good reviews.

Did you mean Holzmann? If so, then you are absolutely correct...run, do not walk, away from anyone offering to sell, give, or pay you to take a Holzmann P/T, especially if it has "260" in the model number. I learned my lesson with my Holzmann HOB260NL.

That's interesting, most people I've read suggest to get the spiral head because it's easier to replace/sharpen and lasts longer, is it personal preference or have I misread?

In the past few years, I visited a lot of small to large commercial woodworking shops. None of the the P/T machines that I saw on the production floors used the spiral cutter blocks. Machines purchased in the past decade have Tersa cutter blocks, while the older machines still have the original style of knives. When time is money, taking a machine offline to rotate or replace dozens of carbide cutters is not cost effective. The downtime is extended if (when) the Torx cap screw strips or breaks because it was not properly torqued.

I can change the three Tersa knives in my machine in less than 90 seconds. As soon as I turn on the machine, the knives are set in place. I don't know anyone in my area who has a spiral cutter block head, so I can't compare the finish with my Tersa cutter block. This also means I don't have a way to compare cutter life or edge retention. However, as a hobbyist, I am very pleased with the performance and finish of the Tersa knives.

A spiral head is the successor to the old knives though, isn't it? From what I've read they're better in almost every aspect? If I'm buying new, and I want to buy once, I thought that was the better option.

The alternative I found was to go bench top, and most of those either don't come with a cast iron bed, have a floppy fence, have bad reviews or are 6". Going up the budget, plus forking out for an equal quality thicknesser, doesn't really work out much cheaper.

I found it hard to judge the differences, and to even find them (seems Google results are limited to only a few shops), hence the thread.

I have a Holzprofi PT which came fitted with a spiral head. People are, of course, entitled to their own opinions, but for me it has been an excellent purchase. I've had it for nearly a year and haven't needed to rotate any of the cutters yet. Each carbide cutter has four cutting edges so you get an idea of how long they are likely to last before needing replacing. I work with tropical hardwood species and I get an excellent finish, even with dense difficult timbers. I use the machine daily though I'm a one man operation so it is not subjected to heavy "production" shop use. The fence is aluminium extrusion but is easy to adjust and locks solid. It has a 3kW motor which gives it plenty of power. Digital read out on the thicknesser. Dust extraction is decent; not perfect but my extraction system could probably be improved with fixed ducting rather than flexible hose. The machine is manufactured in Taiwan (both the iTech and Axi models are also made in the Far East) but I have no complaints about the build quality or performance. It was more or less perfectly calibrated straight off the crate. For me it has been a revelation. I used to flatten and square reference surfaces by hand before running stock through a benchtop thicknesser. Being able to mill stock flat and square quickly is great.

My advice would be to avoid cheap benchtop models if you can afford a heavier floor-standing model. I've heard good things about the iTech 260S (e.g. this review). The larger iTech 300C also looks nice but the tables are butterfly style (not linked) so it takes up more space and is more of a faff to convert from surface planing to thicknesser mode. I'm not familiar with the new Axminster machine but the older models (which also had butterfly style tables, unlike the new model) were popular - see e.g. this video from Sean Evelegh who produces high quality work. On closer inspection, the Axi AW2260S is their "workshop" range which I think is the rebranded "craft" range. This is not the same as the machine reviewed by Sean Evelegh which was one of their "trade" range machines which have now been rebranded as the "professional" range. The equivalent professional range model would be the AP260SPT.

You might also consider the SCM Minimax FS30G from their "Genius" range. @MikeK has this machine and will be providing a detailed review soon, right Mike ;). He chose the Tersa blade system. You can also purchase it with the Zylent helical cutterhead installed if you prefer.

Last edited:
You might also consider the SCM Minimax FS30G from their "Genius" range. MikeK has this machine and will be providing a detailed review soon, right Mike ;). He chose the Tersa cutterblock. You can also purchase it with the Zylent helical head installed if you prefer.

Yes, a review is on my list of things to do. I would have preferred the FS 30C, but it almost twice the weight (270kg versus 140kg) and would not have made the two 90-degree turns down my basement stairs without removing the planer tables. The planer tables on the C are longer than the tables on the G (1725mm versus 1389mm), but both machines have a 30cm cutting width (300mm for the conversion challenged).

There are a few other differences between the C and G, but each was standard with the Tersa cutter head. The three-knife standard cutter head was the same price as the three-knife Tersa head but the Xylent cutter block (48 cutters) was about €700 more. Both the standard knife and Xylent options had to be special ordered, while the Tersa version was in stock.

My biggest gripe with Axminster is that they seem to keep updating/changing their models so they go out of date (and think spares) quickly
Have you looked at the Hammer A3=26. I know its more money but they hold their price so well that when taken into consideration I think they are better value
I have the Hammer A3-31 with spiral. I wouldnt go back to standard blades

Yes, a review is on my list of things to do. I would have preferred the FS 30C, but it almost twice the weight (270kg versus 140kg) and would not have made the two 90-degree turns down my basement stairs without removing the planer tables. The planer tables on the C are longer than the tables on the G (1725mm versus 1389mm), but both machines have a 30cm cutting width (300mm for the conversion challenged).

There are a few other differences between the C and G, but each was standard with the Tersa cutter head. The three-knife standard cutter head was the same price as the three-knife Tersa head but the Xylent cutter block (48 cutters) was about €700 more. Both the standard knife and Xylent options had to be special ordered, while the Tersa version was in stock.

If we move to Brazil in a couple of years I'll be selling all my machines and power tools (because the electrical supply in the region we'll be moving to is 110V). I'll probably work mostly by hand while we're in Brazil and then look to re-equip a machine workshop when we move again a few years later (probably to mainland France). I've got my eye on the Minimax machines. The FS30C would be my preference if space permits but I'm intrigued by the FS30G. Are you happy with its performance so far?

If it's this iTech you are looking at iTECH 260S Spiral Planer Thicknesser 1ph 230v looks like it has a 2kw motor and needs a 16amp supply whilst the Axi version is 1.5kw and runs off a normal 13amp plug. Also the iTech uses 66 blades but the Axi only has 24.

They do look to be the same externally but I must say I do prefer it in grey!

If I had to turn or swap 66 knives I think I'd rather top myself. If it was only 24, I would consider just applying for anti-depressants.

"Doctor, I haven't been feeling very vibrant lately"

"What do you feel the problem is?"

You can fill in the rest by yourself.

If we move to Brazil in a couple of years I'll be selling all my machines and power tools (because the electrical supply in the region we'll be moving to is 110V). I'll probably work mostly by hand while we're in Brazil and then look to re-equip a machine workshop when we move again a few years later (probably to mainland France). I've got my eye on the Minimax machines. The FS30C would be my preference if space permits but I'm intrigued by the FS30G. Are you happy with its performance so far?
Yes! It is everything the Holzmann was not. The planer fence has only two options: 90 and 45 degrees. So far, I have only used it at 90 degrees, but if you will be needing a variable angle between 90 and 45 degrees, then you will want a different machine.

SCM does not offer a mobility kit for this machine, but I made my own based on the kit available for the FS 41. My cost was about €25, which was the cost of buying things I didn’t have somewhere in my garage or shop, and about €175 less expensive than the SCM kit.

The two fixed wheels are from the Record Power BS350S I had stashed away when I removed them and had the two wheels for the swivel mount from another project. I bought the iron water pipe and the countersunk screws that hold the wheels to the swivel mount.

The fixed wheels come off when the FS30G is moved into position so it sits firmly on the ground. While the machine was still in my garage, I hoisted it up onto jackstands so I could safely access the bottom. Then I drilled holes in the bottom flange of the chassis so the pivot point would fit and the fixed wheels would lock into place.

The kit looks a bit pedestrian, but it works great and allows me to move the FS30G into a corner out of the way when not being used.

This is the outfeed side showing the fixed wheels attached. The custom pivot wheel lifts the machine high enough to slide the wheels under the base.

FS30G-Wheels-1.jpg

FS30G-Wheels-2.jpg

The pivot wheel in place on the infeed side ready to move the machine. The distance between the storage corner and the operational location is about two meters, so this kit should last a while, but the Record Power castors will likely be the first components to fail if they are built to the same standard as the rest of the RP mobility base.

FS30G-Wheels-3.jpg

If it's this iTech you are looking at iTECH 260S Spiral Planer Thicknesser 1ph 230v looks like it has a 2kw motor and needs a 16amp supply whilst the Axi version is 1.5kw and runs off a normal 13amp plug. Also the iTech uses 66 blades but the Axi only has 24.

They do look to be the same externally but I must say I do prefer it in grey!
My 3Kw electric kettle runs off a 13amp plug just fine.

2000/230 = 8.7 amps rounded up, any start up surge can be accommodated with a MCB or even an RCBO change, one assumes an induction motor at this price point.

Interesting the Axi blurb says 1.5Kw but the instruction manual says 2200watt on page 24.

Last edited:
I was in a very similar situation and had totalled nearly £3k in my basket on axminster, but as previously said here I made the realisation I'm a part time woodworker and clearly didn't need to spend that on PayPal credit obviously lol.

So I took some excellent advice on here and went on the hunt for some old machines, a couple months later I now have a solid dewalt PT and it works like a dream.

I needed a once over, clean up and oil. Everything tightened and the a bit of time getting the cast tables aligned and blades straight etc.

If you bought a brand new one you'd still have to spend time putting together and setting it up the same, but it's so much more enjoyable having an old machine and getting back to performing great.

I owe a lot of blokes a beer on here from all the excellent advice and knowledge so take it like gold lol...

Ohhhhhhh, nice floor MikeK.....

once I get my place done, I do a lot of dirty oily work.....
I have mopped my floors all my life.....n clean my boots/shoes......sad I know....lol.....

Hi Mike

That is some connector they provide, most brands like Axminster & Record only have some cheap gromet arrangement. Would it have not been better had that connector been been turned 90° so it does not face down and the cable enters from the rear?

Hi Mike

That is some connector they provide, most brands like Axminster & Record only have some cheap gromet arrangement. Would it have not been better had that connector been been turned 90° so it does not face down and the cable enters from the rear?

This is the standard single and three phase input connection configuration for all SCM machines. They include the mating cable connector with the machine, so I had to provide the cable and wall connector.

It's easy to rotate the connector on the machine to suit the user, but I like the cable to flow down to the floor and outward to the wall connection. This removes the torque on one axis of the connection.

Back