Axminster AC254 table saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Fletcher

Established Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have or know someone who has an Axminster AC254 table saw for sale? I am part of a startup Men's Shed and with limited space this is about the only table saw that will fit in our Shed. Thanks.

The 254 in the model number suggests a 254mm diameter blade.

Would it not be the case that all table saws from whichever manufacturer using that same size blade would have a very similar footprint?

Can you say what the footprint of this model is and by how much it is smaller than similar models from other manufacturers?

There isn't a standard footprint for table saws. Some are giant sliding panel saws, some are small giant's with extra long table extensions, etc. the AC254 is probably best described as a large-ish table bench top saw.

We know the size of the area where the saw will live (with wheels) and the AC254 will be the best fit. Larger saws (I have a 10" Axminster Trade saw at home and it is not portable) and it takes up too much floor space. The AC254 has the smallest footprint or any 10" saw that I can find, and it has a very useable table size.

Thanks for your comment. Does anyone know of a different brand saw similar to the size of the AC254?

Mike

We know the size of the area where the saw will live (with wheels) and the AC254 will be the best fit. Larger saws (I have a 10" Axminster Trade saw at home and it is not portable) and it takes up too much floor space. The AC254 has the smallest footprint or any 10" saw that I can find, and it has a very useable table size.

Thanks for your comment. Does anyone know of a different brand saw similar to the size of the AC254?

Mike
Kitty 619
charnwood 629??
Old Aximinster 10" without the wings.

I have looked at the Kity 619. I understand spare parts are rather rare.

The Charnwood 629 is a reasonable fit, however the ones I have found are outside our budget. I am planning on looking at a 619 (8 inch) to see the table size.

I have looked at a Scheppach TS2000. The table is slightly smaller than the AC254, but it is not cast iron. It does have a fold down right extension table. It has an 8 inch thin kerf blade but the motor is 1.8KW. I cannot find any info, reviews, or anyone selling new units. I wonder if there is an inherent fault with the saw and Scheppach discontinued production? Anyone know, have any history of this saw?

If 8" is a possibility, what about the new Axminster ?
https://www.axminstertools.com/axminster-workshop-aw216ts-table-saw-kit-with-cabinet-stand-720881
£760 complete with cabinet stand and sliding table.
720881_xl.jpg

I have seen this saw. Seems bit of a brute but that's ok. And its cheaper. Any idea of spares availability?

The Axminster AC216 is ok. Bit pricey. If they didn't have the sliding table the overall size would be quite smaller and it would be cheaper. Maybe I need to go back to our chairman and beg for more money!

Thanks for everyone's input.

Ask yourself :
If it's light enough to move easily, is it heavy enough to be safe ?
Is a bench top saw any smaller than an equivalent floorstander (generally no).
Is a Chinese DIY saw going to last in a men's shed ? Unless the members are better trained and more careful than people usually are with tools that they won't be paying for when they break them - I'm doubtful.
Is that saw worth £700 odd when you can probably land the original Kity 8" version for well under half that, and it's top is cast aluminium so lighter and immune to rust if you do need the light weight.
Have you looked at the smaller Startrite and Multico saws ? You may find one cheaper, better and with a footprint that will still fit.
It depends how much value you put on the warranty you get with the new saws.

I get your point. If budget and size weren't an issue I would opt for a meter square, cast iron, 3hp monster. Unfortunately that is not the case. Also need to consider the cost of moving the thing. So, the hunt continues. And when I do find a saw, the hunt for an extractor will begin!

I have seen this saw. Seems bit of a brute but that's ok. And its cheaper. Any idea of spares availability?

The Axminster AC216 is ok. Bit pricey. If they didn't have the sliding table the overall size would be quite smaller and it would be cheaper. Maybe I need to go back to our chairman and beg for more money!

Thanks for everyone's input.
I don't know about spares but it's well made. Motor is easly accessible as are the gears, dust extraction is it's weakness so I built a hopper and 90° soil pipe.

Does anyone have or know someone who has an Axminster AC254 table saw for sale? I am part of a startup Men's Shed and with limited space this is about the only table saw that will fit in our Shed. Thanks.
i have this model, pros; quiet, fairly powerful, table is pretty flat. good cut depth, comes with a decent blade. easy to put on a mobile base.
cons; fence is awful, i retrofitted my own, riving knife is a faff to set up. dust collection poor and needs your own solution.i didnt get one but have heard the sliding table isnt up to much, id reccommend a decent mitre bar. like you i got it for its small footprint and its nice and compact, if you dont use it for panel cutting its not a bad saw.

Back