Autumn 16 Challenge

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Grahamshed

Established Member
Reaction score
The Autumn 16 Challenge is for a ‘Pierced turning’. Paul Hannaby has kindly agreed to judge this quarter’s Challenge,

Challenge Requirements: Pierced Turning

This quarter’s rules are:-

1. The Challenge is open to anyone and everyone.
Entries must be new and made specifically for the Challenge.
2. Entries must be made of wood which must be turned on a lathe using woodturning tools.
3. The object made can be of any type, size or shape and for any purpose but must be pierced with multiple holes.
4. Carving, colouring, pyrography and texturing are allowed for this challenge. However, the judge must be able to see your turning and piercing skills!

Please post three images of your work together with details of the wood used, the tools and methods used to make it and any key dimensions. A special ‘Entries’ thread will be started for this at the appropriate time.

Images needed:-

1 showing a general view of your entry .
1 view of the inside of of he vessel
1 view of the bottom of the vessel
A fourth picture may be added (but is not compulsory) if needed to show any other interesting details of your entry.

Image size - please use image size 640 x 480, as in previous challenges

Please upload your pictures and description to the ‘Entries Thread’ between 10pm on the 23rd September and 10pm on the 25th September 2016.

Please also send me a PM giving me your own opinions of 1st, 2nd and 3rd places amongst the entries (other than your own) between 10pm on 25th September and 10pm on 27th September (for me to compile the entrants’ scoring).

Any queries , questions or comments on this quarter’s Challenge, please use this thread. Discussions on the theme are welcome.

It's raining, so I'm spending all day looking at tattoos / stencils / animal prints / everything for inspiration suitable for someone that has no idea what he's doing. :-D

Can someone please define 'piercing' for the purposes of this challenge?

Is there a limit regarding what tools can be used for the actual piercing work?

Cheers.

Hi Naz
If you google pierced wood turnings all sorts of wonderful stiff comes up but for simple stuff think earring stands, pot pouris etc. The holes only need to be an 'element' of the turning.

The last time this challenge was run it was won by someone who turned an apple with a hole in the top and another in the side. the side hole had a maggots tail in it, the top one a maggots head. Perhaps not piercing as we mostly know it but thinking out of the box id a good thing.

Ah, thanks. So as long as it's got holes in it that were made by me...

So what about 'piercing' a lump of wood and then very cleverly making a fitted 'lid' for this 'pierced' lump of wood?

:D

Grahamshed":3ppkwf16 said:
Random Orbital Bob":3ppkwf16 said:
He means a lidded Box Graham :)
Wouldn't that be 'hollowed' rather than 'pierced' ?

Depends if he goes just that bit too deep... :-D

I've finished my piece. I won't remember what I did with it by September. :-(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back