Attaching fabrics/leather to wood

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

u0362565

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've made a folding wooden stool and a rectangular piece of fabric needs to be draped (like a hammock) across its width, pinned at either end to form the seat, so it needs to support the weight of a person. In the instructions I followed they just stable the fabric to the wood but i'd like to do something a bit more robust. All I can find online is people gluing fabric to wood which in my opinion is even worse than stapling. It would be nice if the material was removable for washing, I'm thinking to use a faux leather but not bought that yet. Anyone know of any methods, perhaps this is an upholstery question. Thanks for the advice.

I was obviously not putting in the right thing in the search engine. These things look good although wonder how much force they can withstand. Certainly good for clipping fabrics to wood tho. Might use a threaded insert nut, eyelets in the fabric and then pin it with bolts. Probably overkill mind you.
Thanks for the suggestion.

they will be plenty strong enough if you wrap around the frame, and reinforce the fabric with some webbing, as friction will be the main securing factor, it's either that or make the arms the fabric attaches to removable and loop the fabric to slide on/off and fix with bolts,

link to a google search, https://www.google.co.uk/search?biw=128 ... hKOyGuuwGA

u0362565":hudp8nto said:
I was obviously not putting in the right thing in the search engine. These things look good although wonder how much force they can withstand. Certainly good for clipping fabrics to wood tho. Might use a threaded insert nut, eyelets in the fabric and then pin it with bolts. Probably overkill mind you.
Thanks for the suggestion.

There's no reason you can't use eyelets (fabric doubled or triple folded for tear resistance) and just use 4 or 5 masonry nails (far higher bend resistance) nailed into the two inside facing faces of the frame, clipped off and with the tips bent upwards at 90 deg.

Much simpler to do, will give you all the support you'll need and easy to remove for washing, though I'm not sure of the washable qualities of faux leather (?) I'd be inclined to use a heavy canvas or denim. Make sure to pilot hole smaller than the nail to avoid splitting the frame.

You could also use screws with a washer but over time the screwhole thread will lose some grip with repeated removal.

If you're super paranoid, (or considering a larger person using the seats) you could sandwich the fabric between the inner frame face and another removable section of wood with the screws / bolts going through eyelets recessed into the sandwich so the outer section of wood is also adding a clamping force.

or add cut off nails in a row like teeth without eyelets between the two faces (clipped off with pliers to take advantage of the points you get after clipping with pliers), with corresponding holes in the other peice of wood - which now I think about it isn't a great deal of work to do and quite simple actually - just double up the fabric at that point with that iron on hemming stuff.

Hi all, thanks for all the responses, some very good suggestions. I bought some canvas in the end. Will have a think and maybe post a pic of the finished article..

Latest posts

Back