Assembling stair case

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajmoore1

Reaction score
Hi

I am after your opinions please. I have just purchased a stair case from an online supplier. They have come flat pack ready for me to assemble. They are 13 risers with three kite winders at the bottom. I have read the brief instruction and looked online for any hints and tips and will speak to the manufacturer tomorrow.

I have just tried to dry fit them together before assembling with glue and found a few issues and would like people's opinion.

1. Wedges are to big, can't hammer them in much more than as per pic. Is this ok, do I just trim them so I can fit the riser

2. Are there suppose to be long wedges supplied for kite winder riser?

[URL=http://s1267.photobucket.com/a...a0ff8c2af5afbcbe4faf71f_zpsb643452f.jpg[/img][/url]

3. Probably the biggest problem, the treads don't fit into one side of the string. The treads are 22mm mdf but the slot is only 20mm. Could this be solved by routing out with 22mm straight cutter? Don't have one and that was the idea in buying the stairs so I didn't have to bother!

I have also placed the string into place and the treads appear to be sloping down by approx 5mm. Not sure if that measuring mistake is mine or theirs. What is an allowable tolerance when fitting.

Would you accept these issues or how would you think would be best to resolve, taking into account the delivery cost was £50.

Any advice or opinions appreciated.

Regards

Jon

Ask for your money back it is obviously unsuited to purpose (i.e. self assembly).
Then get one made up and installed by a pro.

Jacob":1s6zzvep said:
Ask for your money back it is obviously unsuited to purpose (i.e. self assembly).
Then get one made up and installed by a pro.

I was going to make them myself but my son has been unwell so lacking in time, getting them already made by a joinery company i thought was leaving it to the pros!

The Wedges are Ok just
You should have longer wedges for the Kites/Winders
The stringer needs an equal amount removing from top and bottom around the nosing of the tread.

5 mm slope Which way ?????

If its a downhill slope pack out the bottom of the stringers until the treads are level.( By downhill I mean the tread slopes from back to front)
Measure the gap under the first tread and make your mind up if its acceptable .
If its an uphill slope you will need to lift the top of the stringer up until its level then measure how far above the floor it is. then make your mind up if its acceptable..
Personally I would send it back after I double checked the measurements I had sent them were correct
As there is a good chance they may well send somebody out to check

Send it back. If they can't get the nosing's to fit then god knows if the measurements are right. Do the kit winder steps fit into the newel post?

A proper joinery company would have dry fitted that staircase to ensure it was all correct. From what I can tell many of these online stair companies are not.

Is the tread sloping or is it that the total rise and going dont match the space. I would have thought the string needs to be tilted until the treads are plumb and that is the pitch the staircase has been made to. I would start by checking the dimensions against your order are correct first. If the total rise or going are not right then the stairs are no good. If they are right then the other issues, you may be able to deal with- it depends on how urgent the job is.

I expect the stairs are CNC made, if so, the software works out all dimensions. My staircase supplier provides a drawing when quoting and checks for building regs compliance as well as giving me the chance to check the drawings and sign them before manufacture. Ive always found the CNC made stairs he has made to be spot on and easy to assemble, so it does make me think yours are wrong.

If the stairs aren't right, send them back, If you're not really experienced in stair making and fixing you may well find several more problems on top of what you know.
I suggest you see if either of the two standard going flights, will suit you're situation
Get a decent chippy to supply and fit the stairs, and do the handrail, spindles etc you're self.
Regards Rodders

I just installed a set yesterday in Bristol from a joiners shop, winders top and bottom and fitted like a glove. Straight un were already assembled with a bear faced tenon on the end of the stringer top & bottom to accept return stringer, brilliant. Everything was numbered, risers, trends and even the wedges. My advice... Send it back.

Back