Ash-8!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skeetoids

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

Happy Sunday!

Called this piece, for what I hope, will be obvious reasons.

Lovely piece of Ash, biggest bowl I've turned so far, 200mmx65mm:

DSC00734.jpg

DSC00735.jpg

Thanks for looking.

C&C welcome,

Lee. :)

Lee, I agree, a nice big bowl, very smooth surface.
A nice bowl for the household, usefull for party's.
Or to give it away as a nice surprise.
Ad

Took me a while but I got there :oops:

Looks like a well finished useful bowl. Ash can be a bit of a pain to get a good finish, especially if you hand sand, end up with ridges in the grain.

Pete

Looks super that Lee almost looks like you have used liming wax on it that grain stands out so much.
Steve

I bet you can't do a '4' :)

Nice finish, it's got a nice flat bottom which is something I can't seem to manage.

You are getting well into this 'normal' stuff Lee, as Pete mentions Ash can be a challenge to finish, sometimes the hardness can vary across the width of the wood as well as the grain boundaries.

monkeybiter":1nucnr3b said:
Nice finish, it's got a nice flat bottom which is something I can't seem to manage.

MB if you need to create a flat surface then have a look about half way down this postand see if this method using a wide flat scraper helps.

CHJ: thanks for the link to the brilliant tutorial, I love the 'Chuck Socket Recess Marking Gauge'. I had to re-read it a dozen times to make sense out of the name... just got in from work is my excuse. That's two 'to do's and one 'to try'.

Skeetoids, sorry for the brief hijack. Have stopped now. It was your bowl that made me ask!

Hi Paul,

Only 'cause I've ran out of stains!

Really enjoying the more natural side of things though, I'm learning a lot about the wood itself and also puting more effort into my finishing.

Cheers,

Lee.

Making simple shapes and plain wood items isn't as easy as it seems as any defect shows up, usually after you have parted the thing off :roll:

Heavily decorated and ornate pieces are good but don't always give you the chance to advance your tool control and finishing skills. Think of Georges hollow forms. Very simple shapes but damned hard to get looking as good as he does. Especially the small ones.

Pete

Back