Applied moldings

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wellywood

Established Member
Reaction score
sewing machine table 022.jpg

I'm a bit ashamed having to ask this question but SWMBO asked me how the applied moldings were made which are on her Singer sewing machine cabinet which I'm busy re-furbishing and I couldn't tell her.
Bearing in mind these are mass produced cabinets dating from around 1920, how would these have been made in their hundreds?

Attachments

• sewing machine table 022.jpg
    sewing machine table 022.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 700
spinks":ee3o0ldh said:

Interesting, any idea how they cast timber? ;)

I guess depending on the age they might simply have had xxx amount of men all just making mouldings? Or even one pattern and maybe a form of overhead copy router type machine?

I think a machine would have been used. As Carl suggests, overhead copy routers go back quite some time. James Watt, of steam engine fame, developed one for copying sculpture which you can see in his preserved workshop, now on display in the science museum.
IIRC, carving machines were on display in the 1851 Great Exhibition, but so were quite a lot of things.

I too would be interested in how they are made, these look to be the same as those.
These are solid beech and they seem to have been made by some sort of press.

Attachments

• 100_7710.jpg
    100_7710.jpg
    233.1 KB · Views: 615
I did wonder about pressing or stamping but I would have expected to see some compression of the fibres which doesn't seem to be the case.

This closer picture gives a clue that they may have been pressed or stamped, it's still got pieces that needs removing.

Attachments

• cc.JPG
    cc.JPG
    156.2 KB · Views: 600
Preston":f2i3w3p0 said:
This closer picture gives a clue that they may have been pressed or stamped, it's still got pieces that needs removing.

file.php

Surely it could equally (and more likely) be incomplete cutting?

I don't think beech is known for its compressibility!

BugBear

carlb40":4ei402t1 said:
spinks":4ei402t1 said:

Interesting, any idea how they cast timber? ;)

I guess depending on the age they might simply have had xxx amount of men all just making mouldings? Or even one pattern and maybe a form of overhead copy router type machine?

Doh!!! I thought they were the metal ones off the treddle base!!!

Back