Apple Tree bumper crop, advice required

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can an apple tree turn into a pear tree?? We have both right next to each other, do they cross pollinate or something?

No. Apple trees remain apple trees, in much the same way that sheep and cows don't change into each other even if in adjacent paddocks.
It is possible to graft different species of tree (e.g. Apples, pears), I think, onto the same rootstock, but once an apple, always an apple.

Cheers,
Adam

:D Hilarious, Mr P

It *is* going to be a bumper year for apples though - our trees were completely covered in blossom, and now they're all smothered with 1 inch big applettes. Normally Rich and I would make cider, but it's not something I want to (or can) do on my own. Any cider makers in the place want to book early for autumn's harvest?

Emma

Given that my first cider making effort last year was something of a success, I would love to take you up on your offer, but I fear I may be too far away (mid-Scotland)...
I am sure, though, that there will be other takers.

Cheers,
Adam

Wonderful blossom up here this year, too............... just before the frosts returned :twisted: . We now have two damsons and one plum awating the bird that will eat them just before they are ripe.

Kalimna":1xgcha31 said:
No. Apple trees remain apple trees, in much the same way that sheep and cows don't change into each other even if in adjacent paddocks.
It is possible to graft different species of tree (e.g. Apples, pears), I think, onto the same rootstock, but once an apple, always an apple.

Cheers,
Adam

Pears and apples do not generally grow on each others rootstocks as they are of a different species (Malus for apples and Prunus for pears.) There is an obscure variety of apple called Winter Banana which can act as a transition if a piece is inserted between the apple rootstock and the pear graft. I know this because I read up on it before I tried mixing lots of different apple trees by grafting this Spring. They all failed. :(

some years ago I had a viral disease here which killed about 20 or so trees. The were all stone fruit that were grafted. other trees were unaffected. here are the rootstocks which have grown into "plumlike" trees. I have no idea what they are exactly but for some reason bullace is in my mind. They were the roostocks for peach, nectarines and apricots.
anyone know for sure what they are???

P1020266.JPG

P1020267.JPG

P1020268.JPG

Attachments

• P1020266.JPG
    P1020266.JPG
    174.3 KB · Views: 552
  • P1020267.JPG
    P1020267.JPG
    168.8 KB · Views: 552
  • P1020268.JPG
    P1020268.JPG
    164.6 KB · Views: 552
whiskywill":3s92yu9y said:
Pears and apples do not generally grow on each others rootstocks as they are of a different species (Malus for apples and Prunus for pears.) T:(
To be horribly pedantic, pears are Pyrus, not Prunus. Prunus includes all the plums, blackthorn etc. which have single large stones, not multiple pips like apples/pears.
Hadn't heard of an apple-pear intermediate, but it's certainly plausible.
Now the admission of stupidity........ when we moved into our last house, we spotted what we thought was a crab apple growing in the hedge across the field. Had lots of nice little round crab apples, so picked them to make jelly. Boiled for hours, and ended up with a non-setting sticky syrup. Then looked closer at the tree - it was a wild pear. :oops:

This is definitely a plum tree and until they ripen and are softish to the press, you can't really tell what type they are. Re thinning out the fruit, a plum tree can cope with an amazing amount of fruit, but it needs lots of water while the fruit is ripening. We did have a problem one year when we had far too much fruit and it caused a main branch to break under the weight. Also, be warned that all of the fruit will ripen within a week, so be ready to give loads away or make plum jam or dipping sauce.

phil.p":2tiua36s said:
Bullaces are like large sloes. They are a plum, though. Yours might be a sport from the original rootstock. You may find them devoid of taste.

The big ones are quite tasty, acidic also. thing is they ripen very early, nearly ready now.

I have one very young Apple tree in open soil. Last year it produced 1 Apple! This year probably 30+

I also have a Cherry, Pear and a Plum but those are fairing badly. They are in pots that are too small. I'm going to move them to open soil. I guess that is best done when the trees are dormant? Late Autumn or Winter?

Latest posts

Back