Anyone know about silver hall marks?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerP

Established Member
Reaction score
Found and old letter opener with these marks - any ideas?

silverpaperknife_zps4f63484a.jpg

Hi

I don't think they're hall marks - just something intended to look like them.

It's probably nickel silver or EPNS

Regards Mick

My son buys and sells silverware. I'm currently away from home but if you're still looking I'll ask him to have a look tomorrow night or Sunday. He might even make you an offer :wink:

I wonder if it actually is a letter opener....
Looks a bit medieval to me, me like an instrument of torture. Or something for encouraging a hedgehog to dance.

Seeing the full picture reminded me more of a surgical instrument , a trocar (not sure on the name or spelling) used for relieving pressure on the brain if memory serves. the ring end suggests a level of control seldom needed in slicing stationary

lanemaux":35awmovr said:
Seeing the full picture reminded me more of a surgical instrument , a trocar (not sure on the name or spelling) used for relieving pressure on the brain if memory serves. the ring end suggests a level of control seldom needed in slicing stationary
The ring is empty but I think is was once a magnifying glass.

THOMAS PRIME - THOMAS PRIME & SON

According to an ancient advertisement, the firm was founded in 1818. In 1840 Thomas Prime was active as close-plater at Northwood Street, Birmingham.
Prime developed a method of plating called Magnetic Plate and in 1844, to the plans of John Stephen Woolrich, was built a special machine to deposit silver, gold or copper (one of these machines was used also by Elkington).
In 1849 the firm advertised that "...Electro Deposition of Silver, Gold, &c. by the Agency of Magnetic Machinery was brought to practical perfection by him..." on White Metal, on Steel and in Superior German Silver. The firm was active at the Patent Magneto Plate Works, 18 and 19 Northwood Street, Birmingham with other premises at 49 Salisbury Square, Fleet Street, London.
In 1851 Thomas Prime (senior, born 1797, died 1881) was joined in partnership by his son Thomas Teritus Prime (born 1826) trading as Thomas Prime & Son.
In 1890 the firm was active as "silversmiths and electroplaters" at 107 Ryland Street, Birmingham and in London Showrooms at 5 Charterhouse Street.
The partnership between Thomas Prime and Thomas Teritus Prime was dissolved on 11th April 1891. For a short while the business was continued by T.T. Prime (died in 1892). There was a third Thomas Prime (born 1857), son of Thomas Teritus Prime, which may have created some confusion and explain the implication that Thomas senior was still in the partnership in 1891 (94 years old).
Thomas Prime participated to the London Great Exhibition of 1851, to Paris Exhibition of 1855 and to International Exhibition (London) 1862.

Indeed. I searched for "Prime" as a sliver plate hallmark, guessing it was a maker's mark, and there it was. :)

I tried to post a reply yesterday but for some obscure reason it got scratched.
I have a similar item left in this house which I bought from the old village grocer. It's not a letter opener, although it can be used as such, but a knife for slicing greaseproof paper which grocers and butchers used to wrap butter or chops etc in olden times before Health & Safety stopped it. The eye at the end is simply to hang it from a hook behind the shop counter.
It will be made from Brittania Metal which is an amalgam of tin, silver and god knows what but I doubt if you will be able to identify the "hallmarks" in any silver manual.
They used to be commonly found at antique fairs but are becoming rarer. Not especially valuable.

Altheo":28kc7wxz said:
I tried to post a reply yesterday but for some obscure reason it got scratched.
I have a similar item left in this house which I bought from the old village grocer. It's not a letter opener, although it can be used as such, but a knife for slicing greaseproof paper which grocers and butchers used to wrap butter or chops etc in olden times before Health & Safety stopped it. The eye at the end is simply to hang it from a hook behind the shop counter.
It will be made from Brittania Metal which is an amalgam of tin, silver and god knows what but I doubt if you will be able to identify the "hallmarks" in any silver manual.
They used to be commonly found at antique fairs but are becoming rarer. Not especially valuable.
Thanks to the forum members (see posts prior to yours) we know now it's meat skewer made by Prime and Sons, probably mid to late 19th century, silverplated and a set of the same marks are shown on the link given in the post by nanscombe.

Wish you hadn't posted that pic - reminds me of a sad incident. We were given a meat skewer exactly like that as a wedding present some 48 years ago and somehow it got thrown out with discarded wrapping paper in a subsequent house move. Mind you, as the lady who gave it to us said, we'd be lucky to be able to afford a joint big enough to need such a skewer.

Latest posts

Back