Any suggestions for a hobby P\T

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UTMonkey

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I have a small shed which I do my whittling in and just wondering if I should entertain a planer thicknesser.

I have been looking at the Clarke cpt600, but looking on various websites people don't tend to rate the name.

Truth is, I cant really stretch to anything more than 150-180, it will get hobby use and space means a desktop model could be my only choice.

At this money should I stick to my hand planes? How far would this money get me?

Thanks in advance.

Mark

I've sometimes wondered about the same question.

In answering it, I read reviews on here and realised that cheap planer thicknessers (a) are very noisy, with their brush motors (b) have expensive disposable knives (c) are a hazard unless you have space and cash to add on proper chip and dust extraction.

Looking at the small amount of sawn timber that I might want to process into planed timber, I decided that it makes more sense to pay the difference and have the timber merchant plane it for me. I'm not aiming to start up a joinery business, and quite like planing by hand.

Spend your cash on some more wood!

Thanks for the comments.

Ebay is starting to disgust me when it comes to this type of gear...

A Clarke CPT600 seems to be fairly common on Ebay (new). the cheapest is £189 + £16 delivery.

A quick search on the internet, and I can find one from an online tool supplier for around £150.

Either I take Andy T's advice or do a "Wanted" on this forum to see if anything second hand comes up.

I'm with Andy.

For the amount of timber I get through it would be years before I made my money back by buying a P/T over paying the timber yard to do it.
Have a look at prices but on a project around the size of a coffee table mine charges approx £5 for PAR timber. Any planing required after cutting will only be small and can easily be done with a hand plane.

Back