Any more tips for an Echo/Alexa in the workshop?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
screwpainting":2g8tf8f9 said:
Alexa, whats the proper way to sharpen a chisel??

Alexa : The best way to sharpen a chisel is using a 2-300 grit diamond stone. You really don't need to use higher grits than that.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :D

I don't know about Alexas but I can think of a few real world safety features of Google assistants:

The broadcast feature where you say, "Broadcast SOMEBODY COME PICK UP MY FINGERS!" and all other similar devices around the workshop / home will hear exactly what you said after the word broadcast. Could be used to lovingly ask the OH to put the kettle on but I've never been brave enough to try.

They can be set to make hands free (in case you've lost more than just fingers) calls to any of your contacts regardless of your phone.

Clever things but, my heavens, kids give them a good workout once they realise you can ask them to tell you a joke.

Oh yeah, you can do broadcast on Alexa too...

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Nelsun":2zqmk6ir said:
John Brown":2zqmk6ir said:
Sorry - Google Home enabled kettle...
Have you never watched The Terminator? That's how it all starts ;)

I just asked Alexa: "Are you Skynet?"
She said: "I have nothing to do with Skynet, don't worry"

She also does a few different farts... which kids seem to like a lot...

John Brown":pwupoaw6 said:
Also surprised it can hear you over the noise of the extractor

Depends where you have the Echo device and how loud your extractor is. I also have this setup and have no issues. You can also connect the Echo to a bluetooth speaker / headphones if you want to run it through some ear defenders. This is easily the best thing I have added to my workshop - now I actually use the extractor for pretty much every cut.

“Alexa, I can’t believe you cut it too effing short again! Now Call the customer and tell them your a tw*t!!”

And when all these wretched and pointless things get hacked into a massive botnet that targets all the DNS servers around the world with a massive DDoS attack....bye bye internet.

Fantasy ? Already happened and it will happen again.

Fewer smart things. More smart people.

John Brown":xpr7h7ea said:
Interesting. And from a totally unbiased source, I see.

You can continue to be sarcastic for all I care.

That the Mirai attack happened is fact. That something similar will happen gain in the future is also inevitable.

Yeah, I stopped using cars because of crashes...

Now, my horse doesn't crash into anything... Mainly because I don't have one

;-) let's keep this light-hearted people!!!

Alexa kept calling me Shirley.
Confused me for a while until I realised I'd left in Airplane Mode.

Bm101":2hqznras said:
Alexa kept calling me Shirley.
Confused me for a while until I realised I'd left in Airplane Mode.
Haha
I like that.

Peterm1000":1yj9w92p said:
John Brown":1yj9w92p said:
Also surprised it can hear you over the noise of the extractor

Depends where you have the Echo device and how loud your extractor is. I also have this setup and have no issues. You can also connect the Echo to a bluetooth speaker / headphones if you want to run it through some ear defenders. This is easily the best thing I have added to my workshop - now I actually use the extractor for pretty much every cut.

I agree- it's impressive how well "she" can hear commands, despite machine noise or children talking (generally not in the same place nor time). I didn't know I could connect my headphones to her though.

I used to only turn on the extractor for extended jobs (very naughty), now it's easy to turn it on every time. (Saw is 3ph, extractor is single phase). Also another tip- I have a couple of elastic bands around the end of the extractor hose, and hang the hose on these magnetic hooks on the older machinery without decent 100mm outlets.

I bought a little Echo dot wall mount from ebay, so it's now mounted on the wall out of the way and doesn't get as dusty.

I've got one of those Google thingummies..given it as a freebie. You'll not be surprised to hear it's still sealed in its box ...should I sell it ?

In a lighthearted vein, one of my American cousins was over visiting our mother in the care home together with my sister and me. My cousin's a big lass. She'd put her iPhone on the windowsill at the other end of the room. We were making small talk and my sister mentioned First Date and the name of the presenter Fred Sirieix. To this day, we can't recall exactly what the other words in the sentence were. What we do know is that the iPhone suddenly burst into life 'Siri is now calling the emergency services'.

Never seen a big lass move so fast :lol:

Back