Any idea what this is?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DangerousDave

Established Member
Reaction score
Sorry, its yet another 'what wood is this' post :roll:
This is a bit off an old mantlepiece, and when I planed the finish off it looked like this;
3238535693_044382817b.jpg

Here's another pic;
3239376646_9324ca7f3d.jpg

And here's the mantlepiece with the finish still on it;
3239378226_978513bd45.jpg

I'm guessing it might be sapele, though not too sure. It's quite attractive and I'll def use it for something. Any help ID'ing it would be very much appreciated
D

Looks like iroko to me but difficult to be sure. Aformosia has interlocked and rowed grain (similar to sapele). If there's a peppery, irritating smell when it's planed or sanded then it's probably iroko...so beware :) - Rob

Just routed a bit of it, the dust is a definite red/brown colour looks very much like brick dust from drilling holes in red house bricks. Was wearing PPE for the routing, but afterwards I took the opportunity to have a wee sniff of the dust; no peppery smell or eyes/nose/throat reaction (yet), just a faint smell that was a bit musty and smelt a bit like pee :shock:

PS, reason I routed it was to make a box for the oilstone I keep in the toolbag in an attempt to keep it clean.

looks like meranti to me. are there any little pockets of cream colour on the reverse side of the boards?

It's not sapele - not red enough and the grain is different

It's not iroko - wrong colour & grain

It could be meranti...

But there again it could be one of hundreds of species of tropical hardwood that we've never even heard of.

I wouldn't worry what it is - if you like it just use it. My problem would be in finding some veneered MDF that matched it!

:wink:

Cheers
Dan

As far as I am concerned definitely not Sapele as it is not red enough and the grain is wrong. Does not look like Iroko as not dark enough. It looks more like oak to me with out the flecks but they may be there on the edge.

John

Back