Another "what's my wood?" thread

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cor - tricky! - I think the small piece does look like ash especially where the grain goes gnarly. I'm still not convinced about the big log. Ash has a distinctive "nutty" kind of smell when you cut it - do they smell the same? Can you show us a pic of the long-grain of the big piece? Is the bark fibrous? Cheers, W2S

Woody2Shoes":3v3b6fau said:
Cor - tricky! - I think the small piece does look like ash especially where the grain goes gnarly. I'm still not convinced about the big log. Ash has a distinctive "nutty" kind of smell when you cut it - do they smell the same? Can you show us a pic of the long-grain of the big piece? Is the bark fibrous? Cheers, W2S
The bark's long gone, but the second photo in the first post on this thread shows the long grain on that piece. I have the original full sized image so could get a better crop if the already uploaded photo doesn't show enough detail.

Good point about smell - the smaller piece didn't really have an odour when cutting (though it's been outside for a few weeks). Taking a sliver off the larger piece however did result in a distinct smell that I'm struggling to place. Maybe nutty, maybe slightly like a dull cleaning fluid. Not pleasant but not that unpleasant.

Probably African Blackwood =P.

I'd go for ash too, though I did think willow at first from the bark.

Tetsuaiga":3gsauuv3 said:
Probably African Blackwood =P.

I'd go for ash too, though I did think willow at first from the bark.
I was hoping for Brazilian Rosewood ;)

Back