Another plane ID question......

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocksteadyeddy

Established Member
Reaction score
Sorry yet another plane ID post! :roll:

I don`t seem to be able to find any info on the adjustment knob and was wondering if anyone could shed some light on wether it was original or not, looks a bit funny to me?

4749852622_6f88e3c3d1.jpg

As you can see she`s a bit of a state.

4749210179_8653f740a4.jpg

I was going to say " the knob in question!" but I think thats just asking for trouble! :lol:

Anyway moving swiftly on......
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Edd.

For all the Stanley Bailey info you ever wanted, and probably a lot you didn't, have a look at [urlhttp://www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan0a.html]Patrick's Blood and Gore[/url] website. If you want to do a refurb, there are quite a few posts on the forum about de-rusting and plane fettling on the forum...do a search and you'll find lots. Ebay is a good source of old planes and spares, as are local car boot sales.

Could you whip the frog off and take some photos of the adjuster from the back....

I need to see what vintage the frog is and I may have a spare wheel in the junk drawer if you want the right vintage. Try to keep bits from the same era when you refurb...unless of course you are going to keep it and then any old knob will do.

Cheers mate....

Jim

Thanks George but I`ve already been on there, don`t know if its just me but couldn't see anything that indicated a knob like this.

If you happen to have a suitable spare wheel Jim that would be great as I would prefer it to have the wheel, Im assuming brass as the rest of the fittings are and I have a no 7 part way through refurb that appears to be simular vintage. It will eventually get the same treatment as the no 4 I did, around the same time as I think you did your woody. Its just getting the time have already spent a silly amount of time lapping the no 7.

Anyway a few more pics to help with ID.

4750234880_eafeaa0e8d.jpg

4750220014_83c67cecda.jpg

4749574637_694e279fdc.jpg

4749575279_5a54566458.jpg

Thanks again

Edd

......but couldn't see anything that indicated a knob like this

I think that is because it is broken....nothing much left.

I had a rummage in by junk drawer and the spare that I have is not for a 4 1/2 - it's too small by the look of it...I tried it on my 4 1/2 and it is the wrong thread.

I will keep my eyes open for you....

This is the one you need:

DSC_0108.JPG

DSC_0117.JPG

Jim

Thanks anyway Jim.

It doesn`t appear to be broken just a bit battered its actually a different length to the standard "wheel" type adjusters.

If you compare (I think it best kept to being referred to as "adjuster") your adjuster with mine (still sounds wrong!) The thread sticks out further on yours. I`m puzzled wonder where its from if not authentic? :?

Edd.

rocksteadyeddy":2xj0n5zv said:
Thanks anyway Jim.

It doesn`t appear to be broken just a bit battered its actually a different length to the standard "wheel" type adjusters.

If you compare (I think it best kept to being referred to as "adjuster") your adjuster with mine (still sounds wrong!) The thread sticks out further on yours. I`m puzzled wonder where its from if not authentic? :?

Edd.

I think it is the centre element of a standard wheel and the spline fit is the only thing left....I might be wrong though...

Jim

I think Andy is right.

Stanley did make a version where the wheel was made from black bakelite on a brass hub.
I guess that was during the second world war when brass was at shortage.

Back