Announcement. Advance Apologies. A new member!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brianp

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello to the form and greetings from Kildare - is a "new member" post the done thing here? I'm sure you'll delete if not... (hammer)

I'm a new turner, just finished a set of night classes and have come into a Record DML 24X lathe and a set of tools to get started on! It's out in the shed and I've been making shavings for a couple of hours now to get used to how the lathe works and "feels."

Certain that I'll have loads of questions (and I already have one or two) I came across this forum and thought I'd see if I could impose and maybe get some helpful advice. There's certainly going to be lots of inspiration as some of the work I've seen (lurked for a while) is very impressive! Some day I might be able to give something back....

Gonna have a look around and pick up some ideas for "new turner" projects - it's different when you're on your own as opposed to the classroom!

I have the Keith Rowley book too!

Brian.

Welcome Brian,
I have only been a member of the forum for a few weeks and already have found it to be a gold mine of information and all of the members that have responded to my posts have been a great help.
I am sure that like myself you will soon become addicted to the site.

Regards

Vic

Hello Brian and welcome :D
No need for any apology we have all been where you are now,and you'l never stop learning.
Any questions no matter how daft you think they may be will be answered by someone who will know no doubt.
So ask away :lol:

fairly new here myself and stolen a few ideas allready...welcome and enjoy......remember, there is no such thing as a stupid question, only a stupid answer!!!

welcome Brian hope You Enjoy the Information here is good and the standards to follow is next to none
Regards
Bill

Hi Brian. Likewise, a new turner who has gained a great deal from the forum. Have a look at the challenges as well - they have made me try things I thought was beyond me! Just a bit of fun.

Martin

Welcome aboard. Ask away, most folk will be happy to help where they can. Others, like me, might be a bit reticent because we are in the same position. I can recommend youtube for free instructional videos. Bob Hamilton's series are well worth a watch, as are Cap'n Eddie's earlier vids. I've kinda gone off his stuff lately since there's been more waffle & less turning.
I borrowed a series of Eli Avisera DVDs and found them really helpful.

Other than that - practice, practice, practice.

Welcome to the forum, Brian.

There's lots of free advice on this forum, most of it good!!

Do join the monthly turning challenge. It will help you to think about things and to turn items you would not otherwise attempt.

Enjoy the slippery slope towards spending all your money on yet more tools, wood blanks etc etc.

Thanks for all the welcoming replies, folks! I've been to the woodturning shop this morning, and turned out a nice little goblet (~5") this afternoon in some sycamore. Learned some things, a lot has gone on the shopping list (sanding disc, sharpening tool of some sort, calipers, bigger spindle gouge....)

Onwards and upwards! (and round and round)

Latest posts

Back