Alternative Solvents for Shellac

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oakmitre

Established Member
Reaction score
A couple of questions.

I'm looking for a almost totally non grain raising solvent (or blend) to apply shellac to softwoods. ( I have access to lots of different solvents ).

I understand that acetone can be added to an existing shellac mix to increase flash off, but that it would not dissolve well in pure acetone. Does anyone know the ratio for the smallest amount of alcohol required to make a strongly acetone mix ?

Thanks.

I smell a quick series of experiments!

Even if someone has done similar comparisons it's worth you testing it out for yourself with what you have there. With any very anhydrous solvents the more they're opened the higher the water level becomes because they inevitably absorb it from the air, and the drier the solvent is initially the faster the rate of takeup IIRC.

Out of curiosity, given the already very quick drying of shellac how much faster are you looking for? Personally I'm much more keenly interested in a slower-drying version!

oakmitre":3swfok6f said:
I'm looking for a almost totally non grain raising solvent (or blend) to apply shellac to softwoods.
Are you expecting that acetone will improve on this over an equally-dry version of alcohol? FWIW I was just re-doing some experiments the other day testing out which solvents erased pencil marks from wood best, using some newish acetone and some very ancient isopropyl alcohol that somehow has managed not to have been used up years ago, and I didn't notice any grain raising.

I'll check them both on some freshly-sanded pine and look again but I don't think there'll be any difference to see.

Well I was able to make something on the way to a poor mans piano black on B&Q plywood a few months ago, using Indian ink and Ronseal water based floor varnish.

I had a method for retarding grain raising by applying the ink whilst the work was under an fan. Sounds a bit daft, but it did work.

Hopefully, this shellac method may be a more sane solution.

Back