Advice re chestnut foe external application

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DFC1047

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I have made some new shutters for my house, from chestnut, which is supposedly the hard wood of choice for such things.
Generally, the finish here in France, is a varnish ( or paint, which I do not want ). Having recently used Danish Oil on an interior project , which I saw was waterproof etc. , I am wondering wheher an oil finish would be better.
The shutters will be exposed to the "worst" of the weather, as they will be on a west side of the house, so getting the sun for most of the day, and the rain from the prevailing wind direction.
Summer temps in the 30s in full sun, driving rain in winter ( at times).

Unfortunately Danish oil has no UV protection, so would only last a few months.

Sikkens or Sadolin are good for brushing application.

Teak oil may be just the thing you're looking for.

Although they all vary somewhat teak oils in essence are very similar to Danish oil in their makeup, but made specifically for exterior use.

Thanks for the info guys..................particularly that last thread.
I will do some "Googling" now ................if it seems the right way to go, I will have to wait a while, as prices for stuff like that is ridiculous here in France. Will purchase on a return trip to UK later in the year.

This could be what you need.

It's actually a French product, "Le Tonkinois" varnish, based on linseed oil with extra UV protection. Available at wood and boat shows in uk, presumably similar or easier in France.
I've bought some and used it on outdoor furniture, on the strength of testimonials. Looks good so far.

http://www.letonkinoisvarnish.uk

This could be the effect you want, on a house in Greece:

GreeceShutters_big.JPG

Back