Advice on Startrite bench drill purchase

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arron

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

A bench drill has been on my purchase list for a while now, being in cornwall not a lot comes up in the way of second hand fobco stars and I don’t want to purchase a new machine if the quality isn’t great.

A Startrite Mercury mk 2 has just been listed and the guy wants £360 (no movement in price) from the pictures it looks to be in great condition!

Has anyone got any experience with these? Are they considered a good purchase?

Thanks in advance guys

Arron

Generally considered a good machine BUT it is essential to check for run out. This machine does not have a replaceable arbour and once the shaft is bent the machine is next to useless.

Great machines, very small and compact. They were originally designed I believe for education use and as such a lot ended up in schools and therefore won’t have had a hard life. Mai. Thing t9 check is the run out of the chuck with the quill at full extension.

For the money that’s being asked I would personally look out for a Meddings, which for that sort of money you would get a really nice one. One thing I’ve never understood is why floor mount drills are seen as undesirable and go typically for a lot less than a bench version. In most cases you can simply cut the column to the size you want.

I'm well pleased with my Startrite Mercury.....I got it a few months back off Gumtree. I dont know exactly how old mine is, early 70's at a guess but there is no discernible run out of the chuck/quill that I can tell. It is in a different league to the Titan pillar drill I got from Screwfix about 8 years back.

I paid a lot less than £360 for it though, so for that money I would expect it to be pristine...!

I have a floor standing Startrite and its a great machine. Would agree with everything the previous posters have said. There is no discernible runout on mine. A few clumsy marks in the table. Note the table runs up and down a round column so there is nothing to restrain side to side movement so its doesn't go up and down a rack. Sometimes this is useful sometimes a pain. A Meddings or Fobco are heavier built and they are all much better quality than the more modern radial drill I've got. I paid £50 for mine which was a bargain but for £360 I would expect something special.

Thank you for the feedback guys!
I appreciate the price is a little steep compared to what most have paid but seems that way down here :( I might just keep looking and see what else comes up.
Will start looking around the derby area as I could always ask my dad to collect it

Didn't want to start a new thread, so I've found a Startire Mercury 2 near me, its £145 and its on 3 phase. I'm gonna strip it back, and restore it. But is that a good price? What should I check and has anyone got a link to the transformer I need so I can plug it in.

Thanks!

I will repeat my advice from earlier in the thread
"Generally considered a good machine BUT it is essential to check for run out. This machine does not have a replaceable arbour and once the shaft is bent the machine is next to useless. "
You need an inverter to run a 3 phase machine from a single phase supply. If the motor is dual voltage 230/415, then a simple inverter will do the job. if it is 415v only then a cleverer one will be needed and could cost more.

Wallaceandsons":3121ufsk said:
Didn't want to start a new thread, so I've found a Startire Mercury 2 near me, its £145 and its on 3 phase. I'm gonna strip it back, and restore it. But is that a good price? What should I check and has anyone got a link to the transformer I need so I can plug it in.

Thanks!
Would a single phase motor transplant be easier?

It is an option but with an inverter, you have the option of variable speed over say a 10:1 range without having to change belts.
If you do change the motor you will either need to find one with the same shaft sizes otherwise you are into boring or sleeving pulleys to fit.
All depends on where your skills lie?

Back