Advice on plasterboarding a ceiling please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocksteadyeddy

Established Member
Reaction score
As of tomorrow the ceiling in the lounge is coming down due to asbestos in the artex and a leak and an insurance claim....... but that is a different story! :roll:
Anyway i've decided to do most of the repairs myself and having not done any drylining before i'm looking for a few pointers?

i've had a nose round the web and as far as I can tell its better to use thicker 12.5mm stuff for the ceiling and I know to stagger the boards but really its more the jointing i'm a bit sketchy about?
Going to use screws spaced around 400mm ( Is this about right?)

Also the ceiling goes up the stairs a few feet at an angle so do I need to use something on the angle joint to reinforce it?

I'm not going to attempt any plastering so will be getting someone in to skim it afterwards.

Any advice or pointers greatly appreciated!

Cheers Edd.

Ok Edd

Fist off you need to use a minimum screw lenth of 35mm & they must be drywall screws with the course thread & the bugle head. The spacing for a ceiling should be 150mm for ceilings & 225mm for walls. Class the angle of the stair as a ceiling. The sheets should be staggered as you say & always join half on a joist. Along the edges must have a row of 45mm x 45mm "dwangs" (i think they are called noggins in england) half in on the edge of the sheet so you can screw the edges also. Where the angle meets the horizontal, you need to make an angled fillet so that all edges can be screwed.

Hope this makes some kind of sense

Woodguy.

Thanks woodguy, very useful but it is still more the jointing between the boards i'm concerned about :duno: As in what i need to do in preparation for getting it skimmed?

Cheers Edd

What we used to do is put 2 nails at the end of the sheet then butt the next sheet against the nails which leaves approx 3 to 4mm gap for the fillers to go into. Up north we don't plaster that much & everything just gets ames tapped so you don't need any gaps. I am not to sure on the prep for plaster, sorry. I would presume that they would want that slight gap all around the sheet for the first coat to go into though.

I did work alongside an old plaster once who always wanted the sheet on back to front with the brown side out. Not sure if this is still necessary but i'm am sure someone else here will have the answer.

Woodguy

Woodguy - what does ames tapped mean? Not being facetious, I have a cellar I am boarding out with plasterboard and will not be getting plastered. I was planning to use tapered edge board and just fill the taper then either lining paper and paint or just paint depending on how the joints look. If there is a better method that gives a good finish it would be handy to know!

cheers,

Steve

Yes you need scrim tape for the joints. Often the plasterer will put that on himself as they don't tend to trust other people to do it right. As long as the boards are flush next to each other (within 10mm) and secure (i.e. not flapping around where they meet but attached to a joist) then scrim tape is all you need.

Where you have the angle to the stairs it depends what finish you want - if you want a smooth curve then just use scrim tape. If you want a sharp edge you will need some metal edge beading. Again I'd get the plasterer to put it on (it goes on top of the boards) if you want it done right.

If you are using the tapered edge stuff again you scrim the joints then use that plasterboard filler and run it along the joints with your trowel and you should be fine without needing to skim the whole lot. It sands well too if you need to tidy it up!

Hope that's useful.

StevieB":9ihbu2b8 said:
Woodguy - what does ames tapped mean? Not being facetious, I have a cellar I am boarding out with plasterboard and will not be getting plastered. I was planning to use tapered edge board and just fill the taper then either lining paper and paint or just paint depending on how the joints look. If there is a better method that gives a good finish it would be handy to know!

cheers,

Steve

I think it's a typo for "Ames Taping" - as I understand it that's Scots for DryWalling :) - which is what you're suggesting in your cellar.

It's generally what I do (especially since the plasterer I used to use moved abroad) but I use scrim tape as mentioned above, and jointing compound applied with a wide-blade filler-knife - the stuff you get from Wickes is pretty good. Let it dry overnight and rub it down lightly. If it's looking a bit lumpy, then Wallrock lining paper is particularly good at hiding imperfections.

HTH, Pete.

If you're getting a plasterer in then it makes sense to ask him what he prefers as in my experience of using them on many projects is that they all have their preferences.

1) Does he want you to put a weak coat of unibond on the plasterboard before he arrives?

2) Are there any obvious areas where you will need some bonding going on prior to the skim coat? If so then it saves tme and money if you put that on yourself.

3) Plastering bead...lots of different types so be careful you get the rght one and/or your plasterer has them with him. A lot don't.

4) Where the joint to existing plaster/walls are, it's usual to scrim tape that and he will then feather in a skim coat to cover. Otherwise you'll end up with a crack between ceiling and wall.

5) If the area is large think about hiring for a day a collated screwdriver as working upside down for any length of time is tiring if you're not used to it.

6) Don't worry about getting any cut joints perfectly lined up. You will be amazed at the gaps that plasterers will skim over...but again it depends on your plasterer.

9mm is customary for ceilings not 12.5 which is for walls.

Buy or hire plasterboard lifters to keep the boards up on the ceiling while you screw them up. Using these it is possible to put up 9mm 8x4 boards single-handed.

Make sure you put the board onto the joists the right side facing out.

Drywall boards are taper edged and designed to be scrim taped then just the tape applied with drylining stuff...not the whole board. You need the proper plasterboard.

Hope that helps....a waist belt with pockets for screws and screwdrivers is very handy.

9.5mm is fine for ceilings if the joists are at 400mm centres. If they are at 600mm centres then you must always use 12mm plasterboard. Ames taping is not the "scots" for drywalling. Ames taping is where you use machines for applying the tape & fillers. When i say machines, the ones used for the fillers is just a series of boxes that get wider with each pass. You fill them up then press hard up to the ceiling then walk. Not a diy thing, it is an actual trade. We use the mesh tape on the flat seams & the paper tape on internal corners & at the ceiling. We use paper reinforced with strips of metal (steel edge tape) for the external corners.

I would agree with others, let the plasterer put his own beads on.

Woodguy.

RogerS":28m2g6yn said:
9mm is customary for ceilings not 12.5 which is for walls.

Unless the works are being done to BR and 12.5mm is the only way I know of achieving 30 mins Fire resistance with FireLine board. I've never seen it in 9mm.

TBH - considering the cost of the board is marginal in the total cost, it would be foolish to not have the 30mins fire resistance, whether you have a family or not.

Dibs

RogerS said:
5) If the area is large think about hiring for a day a collated screwdriver as working upside down for any length of time is tiring if you're not used to it.
Buy or hire plasterboard lifters to keep the boards up on the ceiling while you screw them up. Using these it is possible to put up 9mm 8x4 boards single-handed.

....a waist belt with pockets for screws and screwdrivers is very handy.

Useful stuff Roger - thanks as I'm under the thumb at the moment to re-do our bedroom ceiling.

I've two questions - Roger; what's the plasterboard lifter? Is it basically a large scissor jack? I put up several 8 * 4 sheets onto my workshop ceiling single handed using a crude range of boxes, etc and it was not a good experience.

Secondly - I'm covering over an old lath and plaster ceiling which is pretty uneven and intend to put up 2 * 2 battens first to take out the unevenness; is this the right way to go about this?

Rob

OldWood":27t6yciw said:
RogerS":27t6yciw said:

....a waist belt with pockets for screws and screwdrivers is very handy.

Useful stuff Roger - thanks as I'm under the thumb at the moment to re-do our bedroom ceiling.

I've two questions - Roger; what's the plasterboard lifter? Is it basically a large scissor jack? I put up several 8 * 4 sheets onto my workshop ceiling single handed using a crude range of boxes, etc and it was not a good experience.

Secondly - I'm covering over an old lath and plaster ceiling which is pretty uneven and intend to put up 2 * 2 battens first to take out the unevenness; is this the right way to go about this?

Rob

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Hand+To ... 140/p66745

How uneven is uneven? An inch or so? If it's irregular then most people would just fill with bonding

I think at one stage it was two rooms (this is a 200yr old cottage) and there's an inverted ridge that runs down the centre which is over an inch deep, and is badly cracked.

Rob

I'd echo much of the advice given and would add the following:

We do a lot of dry lining to walls and ceilings and unless you are experienced, it can be a real pig as you will probably spend a lot of time sanding it down afterwards and I doubt you'll be completely happy with the finish.
Dry lining must be tapered edge boards with paper or more often now self adhesive mesh tape applied to the joints and use a proprietory joint filler. You'll still have the square end joints of the boards to contend with however.

If we are having the surfaces skimmed then we use square edge boards installed as others have advised and we always let our plasterer apply his own beads and scrim.

IMO a skimmed finish is usually superior to dry lined although the later is quicker and cheaper.

And... we always use 12.5mm boards. Not worth the cost difference not to.

Board lifter - definately handy if on your own but just as easy to borrow a mate for a few hours for ceilings and knock up a couple of T shaped supports as hold ups - ( and wear a woolly had 'cause you'll use your head as a support and wonder later why it's sore :lol: ).
The board lifters can be a bit awkward if the room is small.

Walls are easy. Just use a couple of wedges under the bottom of the board or make lifters or use a door lifter.

Bob

Thanks again everyone very helpful!

So am I right in thinking if its being skimmed I need the square edge boards with a few mm.
Do I still need to joint them before the plasterer comes or can he do that at the same time?
Sorry to be a pain but just trying to save a few pennies you know how it is! :wink:

Cheers again Edd.

rocksteadyeddy":wyg2q5ur said:

So am I right in thinking if its being skimmed I need the square edge boards with a few mm.
Do I still need to joint them before the plasterer comes or can he do that at the same time?
Sorry to be a pain but just trying to save a few pennies you know how it is! :wink:

Cheers again Edd.

I stand to be corrected but:

Square edge = yes

Generally most plasterers prefer to apply their own tape and bead but talk to him first.
If it's not done properly, it takes time to put it right and he won't be happy (neither will your pocket).

Bob

Lons":lln68nn6 said:
rocksteadyeddy":lln68nn6 said:

Cheers again Edd.

I stand to be corrected but:

Square edge = yes

Generally most plasterers prefer to apply their own tape and bead but talk to him first.
If it's not done properly, it takes time to put it right and he won't be happy (neither will your pocket).

Bob

Absolutely spot on! Plasterers are a strange race :wink:

Back