Advice on kitchen installation for newbie

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crispy

Reaction score
Hi All,

Very happy to have found this forum. Seems to have a lot of knowledge within its walls!

As a relative newbie to woodwork (although my experienced dad will be helping out) I wonder if you can point me in the correct direction for a kitchen installation.

The kitchen I am fitting will be odd sized and therefore most of the cupboards and worktops will need cutting back. As per most budget kitchens all the wood is laminated particle board. Am a i right in assuming my best bet is to get my hands on a table saw for this task and if so can anyone recommend a suitable cheap unit (up-to say £200) and any other bits that might help me out; special blades etc.

Thanks in advance for any help!

I dont if there are any track saws available for your budget, but I could see that being more useful for a kitchen fit.

Not sure that table saw would be first on my list for that job either. but it would work. Track saw would work better or failing that you could get away with a small circular saw with guide rail clamped on the piece (and bade depth carefully set), or maybe jigsaw depending on what is being cut. And get a dust mask too if you can.

Track saw is the tool for this.
You can cut down a unit and re-assemble in 15minutes once you get your head around it.

I have been fitting a kitchen and worktops this week, i use my track saw, jigsaw and router (mostly for worktops).

I have a sheppach pl55 track saw l, just under £200 with tracks and i did put a new blade in. Not one of the most expensive track saws but i personally rate it and is used a lot on other jobs as well.

Other bits of kit useful for kitchens in my opinion are saw horses (only mention as generally overlooked) forstner bit (35mm for door hinges) and stubby screwdrivers are always useful.

If you get onto fitting worktops, you will need a decent router with bits, and a worktop jig.

There is a load of helpful advice on the Internet as well as on here.

Good luck

Nick

Fantastic. Thanks for the info all. Will take a look at track saws.

Logger: Just one question, you mention needing a router for the worktops. Why is that out of interest?

Cheers

crispy":1vysd4vr said:
Fantastic. Thanks for the info all. Will take a look at track saws.

Logger: Just one question, you mention needing a router for the worktops. Why is that out of interest?

Cheers
If you lookup how to fit kitchen work tops on YouTube then you see where two work top pieces meet in a corner, they need to have a shape routed in each piece so they mate together. The router is also used to route the areas out to fit the bolts which hold the joint together.
It's much clearer when you watch the video of how it's done

Read this with interest as this is probably going to be one of my tasks, shortly.
Once again, I'm asking questions. What, please, is a 'Track Saw'? I've got some Dado rails to fit plus Skirting Boards and also a studding wall. Would an electric mitre saw help with all this?
Re dust extraction, would careful use with a decent vacuum cleaner suffice to keep the dust down?

Regards,

John

This'll sound sarcastic, it's not meant to.

It's a plunging circular saw that runs on a track. Google it, pretty much everyone makes one now, depending on your budget.

JohnP2607":3ta8yov2 said:
Read this with interest as this is probably going to be one of my tasks, shortly.
Once again, I'm asking questions. What, please, is a 'Track Saw'? I've got some Dado rails to fit plus Skirting Boards and also a studding wall. Would an electric mitre saw help with all this?
Re dust extraction, would careful use with a decent vacuum cleaner suffice to keep the dust down?

Regards,

John

A sliding compound mitre saw is very useful for fitting dado rails and skirting boards. Although these jobs can be done with hand tools but it takes a bit of practice to get nice clean accurate cuts which are essential for nice tight fitting joints.
If you don't have a use for the tool after you've done the jobs then just sell it on afterwards or you could hire one from hss.

this would do you cabinets as has already been mentioned and if you look on you tube there is a guy that shows you some mods he made to refine performance. never used one personally as i stumped up for the Festool version but this seems to get good raitings and is within budget.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/scheppach-pl5 ... GwodZKYKEA

If you are cutting laminate veneer try making a scoring cut first to avoid chipping as much as possible.

For the dado and skirting you will want at the least a mitre saw but for future versatility i would suggest a slicing compound mitre saw. i had the one in the link below made by metabo and within the entry level proce area its one of the best IMO. Just don't use the factory blade as its rough. Also get an angle finder as it makes life a lot easier if you are new to this sort of stuff trust me.

http://www.powertoolworld.co.uk/metabo- ... e-saw#gref

http://www.axminster.co.uk/trend-anglef ... GwodaygMGw

If doing skirting i would also suggest getting yourself a counter sink drill bit like this http://www.screwfix.com/p/erbauer-count ... 0wodJcYMnw

Once again, folks, really appreciate all the advise and am now aware of what a 'Track Saw' is.
It's amazing what is available on YouTube and I'm indebted to the links for those, as well.
Thanks, Petey, for the links you provided. The Metabo is one I'd already looked at and pretty much decided upon as it seemed to provide what I need at a reasonable price. I've also got some counter sink bits, for the skirting boards, as I used these on previous jobs. You're right about these being an essential.
Kind regards,
John

Stevebod":1eu1kk6n said:
http://www.woodworkersjournal.com/track-saw-review/

That Makita sounds like a winner. :wink:

Shame I don't actually need a track saw ... :cry:

I've fitted kitchens on and off my whole working life and buying a track saw just made the whole process much easier. I have the Makita and i reckon it's one of the best purchases I've ever made. There's plenty of other kit you need to make a professional job of it mind. A good chop saw, router, worktop jig, jigsaw and a few good cordless drills spring to mind, among myriad other stuff.

Latest posts

Back