Advice on converting lathe.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turpi15

Reaction score
Good Morning all this is my first time posting on this site so forgive me if I sound fick : / . I have a Coronet 'Major' 5 speed lathe and wondered if anyone could advise me on if it's possible to convert it to electronic control without too much hassle and cost. The Coronet in my view is the epitome of british engineering but still a pain to have to change speeds manually so may mean buying another lathe.

Any input gratefully received

Turpi15

turpi15":1uwch7be said:
Good Morning all this is my first time posting on this site so forgive me if I sound fick : / . I have a Coronet 'Major' 5 speed lathe and wondered if anyone could advise me on if it's possible to convert it to electronic control without too much hassle and cost. The Coronet in my view is the epitome of british engineering but still a pain to have to change speeds manually so may mean buying another lathe.

Any input gratefully received

Turpi15

Hi
I have an inverter and motor that I bought brand new. Tried it out once and that's all.
I have two lathes that have inverters on them, would not use a lathe without one.
I also have an Coronet lathe missing it's banjo tool rest. Don't use it anymore
PM me for more details

The only correct way to control the speed of an induction motor is by varying the frequency of the supply. Devices that vary the voltage will only work properly with brush type motors.

Hi guys thanks for quick responses to my issue with speed control. Sorry I haven't replied sooner; I have been busy in preparation for a new garage door that was delivered yesterday. Timber; what sort of price are we looking at for the inverter?, I may buy it providing I can get my head round how to achieve the task.

Just remember an inverter will only work on a 3 phase motor not a usually fitted single phase induction

Thats not to say you cant speed control a single phase induction motor but its lots more complicated

turpi15":19uq18co said:
Hi guys thanks for quick responses to my issue with speed control. Sorry I haven't replied sooner; I have been busy in preparation for a new garage door that was delivered yesterday. Timber; what sort of price are we looking at for the inverter?, I may buy it providing I can get my head round how to achieve the task.

Hi
The Inverter and three phase motor which is .55 kw was bought with the intention of driving a metal work lathe. I sold the lathe before I got round to fitting it. Although I did bench test it.
It would pay you to come and have a look at it, and my other inverters that are not for sale .If you P.M. me or give me your email address or tel: number, I can give you a price.
I don't want to upset the Mods again re: selling without a price and a picture !!!!!!?????
Timber

I own a coronet 3 and i don't see why you would need to spend £300 plus (and the pain of trying to fit it with your current set up) on a motor so you don't have to switch pulleys. Am i missing something here?

Would be cheaper just to buy a lathe that does have that capability second hand.

Doris":h7sl7sek said:
I own a coronet 3 and i don't see why you would need to spend £300 plus (and the pain of trying to fit it with your current set up) on a motor so you don't have to switch pulleys. Am i missing something here?

Would be cheaper just to buy a lathe that does have that capability second hand.

£300 plus !!!!!
I would only want half of that for mine
Timber

Latest posts

Back