advice on 3 jaw chuck please.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flame

Established Member
Reaction score
hi ppl, am after your advice on which chuck would suit my needs, i am going to use it to hold snooker cues,so it needs to hold from 9mm to 32mm, i have been advised to go for a 3 jaw chuck, would that be right? my lathe is a coronet, any replies would be appreciated, cheers Bill.

For starters you won't be able to get a 'Standard' woodwork chuck as a three jaw, an engineering three jaw fitted with standard engineering jaws will not give you very good grip and drive on wood the size of snooker cues.

A standard four jaw woodworking chuck will give you the best options, both to drive the initial blanks and then to hold suitable home turned 'collets' for gripping the stems should that be necessary.

What is the headstock spindle thread ?

There are a whole raft of suppliers of good chucks around but obviously models with the appropriate thread option is the first sift of possibilities.

Another consideration as far as flexibility of use are the number of jaw adaptors available for each model, some brands have considerably more options available.

Mine's a Versachuck from the Tool Post. It has backplates available for virtually every spindle size known to man and a whole range of jaw sizes and shapes. I want every one they do but the wife says I can manage with the standard one. It can have adaptors for other manufacturers jaws too.

One accessory I am getting is a metal screw chuck which fits the standard jaws. Lazy I know but at least I will know its precise. Some of the ones I have made out of wood seem to gradually go off centre as the strain gets to them.

CHJ":2swsc61m said:

There are a whole raft of suppliers of good chucks around but obviously models with the appropriate thread option is the first sift of possibilities.

Another consideration as far as flexibility of use are the number of jaw adaptors available for each model, some brands have considerably more options available.
spnidle size is 3/4in x 16tpi

flame":14fs5a4k said:
CHJ":14fs5a4k said:

spnidle size is 3/4in x 16tpi
The very size of new backplate I've just ordered for my Versachuck!!

Back