Advice needed with changing the drive belt on a Elu TGS172.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TH26

Reaction score
I have a Elu TGS 172 combination saw and when I was using it yesterday the drive belt snapped. I have a spare but can't get it on as it's too tight, I actually already broke one spare when trying to feed it on. I can't see anything I can loosen on the actual machine to get it on. So I was wondering if any one had any experience with this or any tips?

Thanks in advance.

Yes that's the one. The belt is number 55 towards the top right of the second picture, although they seem to have cut half of it off in the picture. It loops around number 56 and 74 and I am really struggling to get it on.

I know nothing about these, If it were mine, I would think that as that type of belt would have to run pretty tight and there appears to be a lip on numbers 56, and 74,presumably to keep the belt run true, So I'm not surprised at you're difficulty.

I can only suggest that you have a good look and see if you can get both of these (56 and 75) off by undoing the relevant
bolts and get the belt warm and hopefully more pliant and slide the belt and both 56 and 74, as one unit.
Or even removing the saw blade and removing number 56, and doing the above
Someone here may have either a better idea, or know how it's done!
HTH Regards Rodders

I have tried to remove 56 and 74 but they are holding on very well and I worry about damaging them. I will definitely try warming the belt to see if that helps. Thank you for the help :) .

I've managed to get it on. Turns out the pulley shaft also screws on as well as has a bolt holding it in place. So I took the front pulley shaft off by locking it with a spanner on the side where the saw blade sits then unscrewing it by covering it in a cloth so I didn't damage the teeth and using a grip to get some leverage. After the it was far easier to get the belt on and now it runs like a dream. Thank you again for your help, it's the reason I kept trying to get the pulley shaft off.

Thanks for that report - will now know what to do when the belt on my flipover goes to the big belt graveyard in the sky.

They are super saws, if just a bit too well made and hence a pig to lift around!

I've managed to get it on. Turns out the pulley shaft also screws on as well as has a bolt holding it in place. So I took the front pulley shaft off by locking it with a spanner on the side where the saw blade sits then unscrewing it by covering it in a cloth so I didn't damage the teeth and using a grip to get some leverage. After the it was far easier to get the belt on and now it runs like a dream. Thank you again for your help, it's the reason I kept trying to get the pulley shaft off.
That was really useful - even though it was nearly 10 years ago, I could not find anything else to help with this. I used a rubber kitchen belt to grip the pulley. Note that it turns off in the reverse direction ie reverse thread. Once you do that, fit the belt and then tap with a rubber mallet to seat it and it screws back easily. Good luck.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back