adapting old chisels

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
selectortone":ak0pw093 said:
woodpig":ak0pw093 said:
Woodturning tools used to be made from the same steel as ordinary wood working tools so to suggest this type of steel is unsuitable isn't correct. Yes, HSS lasts longer between sharpening but many old turners reckoned you could get a better edge on carbon tool steels.

One of my favourite tools is an old carbon steel round nose scraper that I bought unhandled off ebay for a few pounds. It needs sharpening more than my HSS tools but the edge I get on it is superb. Just the job for finishing cuts on the inside of a bowl.

I'm not sure how many would consider buying the "Brailsford Set" from Ashley Iles these days but it's interesting to see that there are Carbon Steel tools in the set - including the parting tool, skew and round nosed scraper...

http://www.ashleyiles.co.uk/the_brailsford_set.html

Jon

There was a good article somewhere explaining why the grain structure of carbon steel supports a sharper edge than HSS but I guess most folks prefer to sharpen their tools less often. I'm certainly happy enough with my HSS tools but must admit I've not tried carbon steel.

Latest posts

Back