accurate mitre square

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baldpate

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

can anyone recommend an accurate mitre square? Something with the same accuracy as a decent engineers (right-angle) square.

I ask because I recently built a mitre shooting board. The two faces of the planing stop were carefully cut and planed at 90 degrees (measure by an engineering square that I trust). But when it came to fit it, I couldn't seem to get both faces to sit at 45 degrees to the running board. I was referencing off the 45 degree face on the stock of a 12" combination mitre square (not a very expensive one, I must admit), and I finally realized that this wasn't giving an accurate 45 degrees (I'm guessing, 0.25 - 0.5 degree off).

I was considering one of the Ice Bear Japanese mitres, but one review (on Axminster, I think) said these weren't all that accurate.

Any ideas, please?

Thanks

Chris

Have a look at the Incra 45 deg gauge, not used it myself but I've got other incra products and they've always been accurate and reliable

i have got an axminster one for christmas. i also got an digital angle finder. If I get a chance in the morning i will measure it for you and see what it is like. for woodworking purposes, I think it will be fine.

i also have an incra 90 square, and can vouch for the quality of that. I have tested it by flipping it over and it is spot on. i assume that the 45 would be equally as good, albeit they are not cheap.

Thanks for the Incra suggestions - I'm sure it would be more than accurate enough, but at around £70 it's a bit more than I was thinking of spending!

marcros":2uelx8ts said:
i have got an axminster one for christmas. i also got an digital angle finder. If I get a chance in the morning i will measure it for you and see what it is like. for woodworking purposes, I think it will be fine.
Hi marcros, do you mean one of these?
http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-axminster-precision-mitre-square-prod23291/
That looks useful and a reasonable price - it would do nicely if it's at all accurate. If you get a chance to measure yours, I would be interested in the result. Thanks.

Chris

baldpate":39dcx21d said:
Thanks for the Incra suggestions - I'm sure it would be more than accurate enough, but at around £70 it's a bit more than I was thinking of spending!

marcros":39dcx21d said:
Hi marcros, do you mean one of these?
http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-axminster-precision-mitre-square-prod23291/
That looks useful and a reasonable price - it would do nicely if it's at all accurate. If you get a chance to measure yours, I would be interested in the result. Thanks.

Chris

That's the kiddie.

right, i put it on the kitchen worktop, and zero'd the wixey angle gauge on the worktop. I then measured the angle, and it was bang on 45 degrees at the angle end and at the far end the measure was 44.9 degrees. I suspect that it is more likely that the error was me, but even so, a tenth of a degree over 6 inches is more than good enough for me.

Back