A new members woodworking questions

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

digitalbot

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello

After having browsed this site for a while I thought I might as well register and take advantage of your vast collective knowledge on all things wood related.
I've only really gotten into woodworking over the last few years or so ( as a hobby/passtime ) and my projects and jobs that I do are still relatively simple. I'm still in the business of trying to aquire a decent set of tools and finding it very hard to purchase things of any quality. So this first post will be a couple of questions if I may.

a: I would like to get a good set of bevel edge chisels; five or six in the set probably. What would you people recommend. I was thinking that the 6 Marples Splitproof ones with the yellow and red transparent handles in the wooden case looked ok. ( I remember using them at school in the 70's but what's the quality of the steel like now? )

b: As mentioned in a couple of other threads, I too have noticed the Triton tools and equipment being sold off by B+Q and have bought some pieces. Triton seem to get good write-ups almost everywhere but what about their router cutters. I'm in the market for a starter set so are they any good? Any of you out there use them?

c: I've spoken to a few semi-aquaintances who do carpentry and site woodwork and they say that you don't sharpen router cutters anymore. You just use them until they go blunt and then bin them. Is this true? I would have hoped not, looking at the price of some of the tct cutters available. I was under the impression that you purchased some shaped slipstones and did it that way. ( although I have learned that man made boards do blunt them very quickly )

Any information would be most welcome on any of those questions and any other advice or links would be greatly appreciated.

David

ps;
got a triton workcenter for 56 quid. Somebody in the store had priced it up wrong. :lol:

Hi David,

Welcome to the forum. :D

I cannot comment on the chisels you are thinking about, I have a set of Sandvik ones from the seventies that are still doing service.

Router cutters can be resharpened but it can be tricky. The usual way is hone the flat face of the carbide, not the profiled edge. This can be done with a small diamond slip stone, count the number of strokes used and do the same on both inserts. They can also be reground by machine, lots of saw doctors have this sort of kit and sharpen router cutters as well as saw blades.
The problem with this, there had to be one, is the change in cutting diameter this causes, if the cutter is used with a guide bush the offset from the bush to the cutter will change. If you have a bearing guided cutter the bearing will no longer be in line with the cutting edge. On the bright side a good cutter if used carefully should cut very large amounts of timber before becoming blunt, the stuff that blunts cutters is chipboard due to the amount of hard rubbish that is in it.
It is possible to buy cutters that have replaceable inserts, they are not cheap but the inserts are compared to the whole thing. Most of the insets can be turned round and so have two (or four) cutting edges on.

hi welcome to the fourm

i have a set of split proof chisels ive ad them around 14 months. i use them on site so are used daily so they take a beeting but still hold a decent edge, i can hang 10+ firedoors before it needs a quick edge putting back on. the handle has a few dents from getting hit pull pelt with claw hammer but in a workshop they wont get the same abuse so last forever

im not sure about triton cutters but if they are as good as the powertools they will be a good buy

im not sure about sharpening cutters sorry, some one will know

i can never drop on deals at bnq for some reason :cry:

I have two triton router cutters. Lasted 5 years, the half inch straight was resharpened two years ago professionally.

There OK by me.

Welcome to a good forum.

Hi David,

Welcome to the forum. I have a set of those Marples chisels which I bought back in the '70s. They still hold a good edge but I'm not sure that that's any guarantee of the quality of the same chisels today. General consensus is to only buy the router cutters you need. Most sets contain cutters that you never use which wastes money.

welcome to the forum :D

Speaking as a pro here, I generally either buy very cheap cutters for a one off job then bin them, or, buy extremly good cutters (ie for kitchen wortktops, intumescent stripping, hinges) and then pay a few quid to have them sharpened a few times to gain maximum usage. I guess it's horses for courses. I have on occaisions though also bought the cheapest set going for just one cutter. Daft as it seems sometimes it's cheaper :shock:

woody

digitalbot":1yjvieuo said:
c: I've spoken to a few semi-aquaintances who do carpentry and site woodwork and they say that you don't sharpen router cutters anymore. You just use them until they go blunt and then bin them. Is this true?

Hi David,

TCT router cutters are sharpenable. We sharpen hundereds each week.

Some of the very cheaply made cutters simply aren't worth sharpening simply because of the quality of the tungsten, and they are oftern too badly damaged due to the softness of the steel body.

But for the professional user that uses quality cutters, sharpening is well worth while.

For more info on our sharpening service.....
http://www.bedfordsaw.co.uk/sharpening.asp

Hope this helps.

What size cutters do you use?

The best cutters out there are without a doubt Trend & Titman.

We are a Trend dealer and have a wide range of cutters in stock.

I find that without doubt Trend and Titman cutters are vastly overpriced, so maybe that is why a dealer might like them.

CMT seem to be a good cutter.

As we sharpen the cutters on a jig, its amazing how bad some cutters are. Trend & Titman are always spot on. The carbite tips are strait and true, and the body's are well made.

Most other makes need the machine to be constantly re-set to sharpen each side as they are never the same.

As long as the cutters cut strait and true, and last well...you cant go wrong.

Jake":3lo99lpb said:
I find that without doubt Trend and Titman cutters are vastly overpriced, so maybe that is why a dealer might like them.

It doesn't have anything to do with the price.

We will only sell quality cutters as we dont want/need the hassle of customes work being ruined by cheap cutters as they have in the past.

Hi Team

I trust you are all well and in good spirits.

Regarding to re- sharpen or not to re-sharpen; think on this my fellow members if your cutter requires a bearing guide and you have it re-sharpened then you will need a replacement bearing if you want to maintain every thing true.

Would I be correct in thinking that BedfordSaw may be a little biased has he as more to gain out of pushing for re-sharpening and is bound to push and sing the praises from the roof tops for Trend & Titman as he is agent for them. After all he earns is daily crust from such work dose he not?

May be if our honourable member for BedfordSaw would publish his prices for re-sharpening, replacement bearing as well as his best price for new Trend & Titman tooling including delivery and the VAT. He then just may be able to justify his augment for re-sharpening. Then we the jury can retire to deliberate. In the mean time I will pop into my local saw sharpening and servicing workshop and request there price list and then we can see how our honourable member for BedfordSaw prices stake up.

So Mr BedfordSaw will you pick up the gauntlet?

BedfordSaw":hbwzu1dy said:
What size cutters do you use?

The best cutters out there are without a doubt Trend & Titman.

We are a Trend dealer and have a wide range of cutters in stock.

I can vouch from many years experience that Wealden cutters are every bit as good as Trend or Titman, if not better.

They are also far cheaper and Wealden sell direct to the end user, eliminating any dealer network. I have always received delivery the next day without a hitch.

I would not dream to suggest that this may have influenced BedfordSaw's opinion.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Hi Everyone.

Ok, it seems that some people are taking me the wrong way.

Just because I dont sell a particular cutter, it doen't mean they aren't a good cutter after all we are also dealers for CMT and swedex.

Also it depends on the wood being used. 1 cutter may work well enough on some soft pine, but the same cutter may not last 1 cut on some hard oak.

We deal with alot of kitchen fitters for example. 90% of those customers have tried cheap cutters. Im talking about the unbranded £3-£5 cutters.

Its not common knowledge just what is imbedded in our kitchen worktops. 2 of our customers have even hit spanners in the middle of a worktop! Not to mension all the grit and stones. So a hard bodied, hard grade of carbide is essential! These guys cant afford to use cutters that only last 1 cut.

This is why we only stock a few makes, because these are proven to work with many applications.

Our sharpening price for a regular 2 flute TCT Router Cutter is £4.00 + vat.

So when a 1/2 x 50mm kitchen worktop cutter is between £11.50 - £20 + vat, and some differnt profile cutters cost upwards of £50 a sharpen is well worth while.

All my opinions on this forum is based on our many customers opinions.

When customers tell me they have tried many many cutters, and that they have found certain makes better than others, then there opinions are valuable.

So to sum up...if you buy expensive cutters, then yes they are well worth sharpening for £4.00 + vat.

Its hard to give a best price on any cutter as they are all very different prices.

Bearings start at around £3.00 + vat and its not always nessesary to replace the bearing after a sharpen as in many cases we only take a small amount of carbide off. After 2-3 sharpens, then yes maybe a bearing repalcement nessesary.

Hope this helps.

At that price, if I was fitting worktops for a living, I'd price in the cost of visiting you twice (or posting both ways), and I think I'd conclude that Versofix was the better option for straight cutters.

Back