A few turned boxes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some lovely boxes there,mostly very attractive forms and finishes. Not too keen on the oversize lid in piccy no.12.

One general criticism if I may, the grain is not matched across the lid and the body, which clashes a little to my eye.

Question; how do you stop the stored wax penetrating the wood? Do you use a particular finish on the interior or maybe the wax is in a little jar inside the wood box?

monkeybiter":xmmq3bde said:
Some lovely boxes there,mostly very attractive forms and finishes. Not too keen on the oversize lid in piccy no.12.

One general criticism if I may, the grain is not matched across the lid and the body, which clashes a little to my eye.

Question; how do you stop the stored wax penetrating the wood? Do you use a particular finish on the interior or maybe the wax is in a little jar inside the wood box?

I agree with you matching the grain is something I have to do better

To stop the wax penetrating the wood I use 2x acrylic sand and seal and 2x acrylic lacquer,seems to be working fine ,I have a wooden pot that has been filled for around 8 months now ,this pot was an experiment to see how much the the wax would be affected in a pot that was not sealed at all ,over this period of time there was only a very small amount of colour change in the wax right at the very edges of the pot where the wax was very thin.

beautiful boxes and finishing, has the 3rd box down's lid been screw threaded? I noticed it has a seal, but wondered if you'd cut a thread so it's a screw on lid. They all look fantastic.

Gary

They are all amazing pieces if I could turn half as good as that id be the happiest man in Wales thank you for showing such a awesome collection of talent to a newbie who is both jealous and full of admiration :lol:
well done =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
regards
Bill

There are some very good boxes there!

Do you have set designs for specific waxes or are they all one off's?

Keep it up :)

Gary Morris":3njnu0ek said:
beautiful boxes and finishing, has the 3rd box down's lid been screw threaded? I noticed it has a seal, but wondered if you'd cut a thread so it's a screw on lid. They all look fantastic.

Gary

no threads just a little lip

=Adam=":32lina8v said:
There are some very good boxes there!

Do you have set designs for specific waxes or are they all one off's?

Keep it up :)

no set designs for each blend of wax ,you select the blend you want and select the container to hold the wax,yes all one offs

Beautiful work! I've never thought to use those rubber bands. Any specific place you buy them from?

Latest posts

Back