35mm Hinge Boring Jig

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BradNaylor

Established Member
Reaction score
One of my jobs this week has been fitting 8 replacement doors I've made for a clients existing fitted wardrobes. In the interests of neatness I wanted my hinge holes to line up with the old ones - unfortunately I found when measuring up that the were at different spacings in each door.

Fearing a cock-up if I bored the holes in the workshop, I bought one of these jigs so I could do it on site, using each old door as a template as I went along.

http://www.winzerwurth.co.uk/Resources/ ... 200148.pdf

Not the big machine at the top of the page - the 'Drilling Jig 500' halfway down.

It was a revelation. What a fantastic bit of kit!

You just clamp it in position on the door, setting the distance from the edge that you want the hole. Then with the allan key supplied with the jig in your cordless drill you push the spring-loaded hinge borer down to the pre-set depth. It also drills the location holes for cam-mounted hinges.

I drilled 32 holes, fixed the hinges in position, and hung eight 8' doors in just over an hour this afternoon - on my own.

The only other way I could have done it would have been to take a drill press with me - and then boring holes in 8' doors on your own is bloody tricky.

Anyone who uses concealed hinges would benefit from one of these - I'm well chuffed with it. The only downside is that it gets clogged up with shavings. However, I found that if you put your drill in reverse and spin the borer while holding the jig in your hand it unclogs easily.

£85 + VAT

Sounds a lot but mines paid for itself already!

Cheers
Dan

Sounds interesting Dan, if I am ever need to drill a lot of holes, i'd consider it.

Perhaps a kind mod could move this to the jigs section for future reference/search purposes

An interesting bit of kit Dan. I've had some success drilling hinge holes on my cheapo drill press but free hand attempts have given pretty poor results. If I couldn't use a drill press and had lots to do, I'd certainly consider the jig.

Looks impressive Dan, I'm going to be fitting a load of wardrobe doors with euro hinges and was just going to use one of these with a boring bit in my drill. Does your jig assist with lining up the plate and the hinge? If so I might consider spending £85, I have a lot of doors to do and am not looking forward to all the measuring and marking out :?

DangerousDave":39dzpizk said:
Looks impressive Dan, I'm going to be fitting a load of wardrobe doors with euro hinges and was just going to use one of these with a boring bit in my drill. Does your jig assist with lining up the plate and the hinge? If so I might consider spending £85, I have a lot of doors to do and am not looking forward to all the measuring and marking out :?

The one I bought from Sommerfelts does both 35mm hole and hinge screw.

I think I have seen a similar one in Hafele where you have a hex key in your drill to turn the various cutters.

Can you explain to this dummy why a router template made in the workshop from MDF (or an alternative material) and used on the site wouldn't have been suitable? I'm not familiar with this sort of woodworking but I'm anticipating a scenario in the not-too-distant future when I might have to address a similar problem, and I'd rather do it without splashing cash.

Gill

Gill":1w2g23il said:
Can you explain to this dummy why a router template made in the workshop from MDF (or an alternative material) and used on the site wouldn't have been suitable? I'm not familiar with this sort of woodworking but I'm anticipating a scenario in the not-too-distant future when I might have to address a similar problem, and I'd rather do it without splashing cash.

Gill

Well you can make a jig for almost everything...but to go to a tool drawer open it ,take out a 6 inch tool ,snap it on in 3 seconds and drive your holes in 20 seconds ...done.I`ll go for that and it works both right and left sides just as fast.I am getting older by the minute so I want to do a good job as quick as I can safely,this tool by Sommerfeld does just that.Hook it up to your drill and the bits are already in the jig.

Gill":xdzfwhyx said:

Gill

Speed, Gill.

When you're doing a job on site you want to get it done as quickly as possible.

Fannying about making a jig and then using it in a client's bedroom would have cost me an awful lot more in time at £30 an hour than the hundred quid I spent on this baby.

And I've still got it for the next job...

...and the next one

Cheers
Dan

Sounds like a brilliant jig.
I bought an Axminster template of circles of various sizes. The 35mm hole got the most use and, in no time at all, guys in the workshop ruined it with routers that slipped. We have used cheap Fostner bits, which lose their sharpness in no time. Spade bits don't work, as the tip often goes right through the door. And have very little success in getting the hole at an exact distance from the edge just measuring with a pencil.
Can you explain the drill bit aspect of the jig. Auger bit? Fostner bit? Does it come with the jig?

thanks for the review
Ross

The 35mm bit is a fostener style, the outer bits that drill thew 8mm / 10mm hole are like 2 fluted spiral router bits.

The 35mm drill looks like a Forstener bit, but has TCT cutters which will stay sharp for far longer.

I just checked - Wurth have a trade counter in Paisley. Last time I was in Paisley it was not far from Glasgow.

http://www.winzerwurth.co.uk/Contact/Paisleyaddress.jpg

If you've not dealt with WW before, a tip. You've got to haggle! List price for this jig is around £170 + VAT. I got it for £85 + VAT.

Any problems PM me.

Cheers
Dan

Latest posts

Back