2500 panel saw Axminster p305 v SCM technomax?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anne

Reaction score
Hi, I have seen Nev's previous post and advice on panel saws, and wondering if anyone has experience of either
Axminster P305/2500 or the SCM equivalent?

In my dreams I would spend my £4 - £5k on a used WA80 or a Felder ... aye right!, as we say in Scotland, the used market is pretty limited here unfortunately.
So any advice on which of the two above is the lesser evil cheapy would be really appreciated.

This will be my first panel saw, so my knowledge is pretty limited.
We do furniture restoration, not production, so would like to avoid a machine which is a pain to set up and adjust.

My other problem is the workshop door only clears 910mm, so it is wait till summer and widen the door, or get a light
enough machine which we can put on its side to get in, or find one which will dismantle small enough.

Thanks, Anne

Thanks for tip, looked this one up and not sure if its 3200mm, there's not much info in the listing!

Firstly avoid Felder ,They are over priced, unreliable and offer nothing out of the ordinary ! SCM are a proven make ,i have used SCM machinery and have only a good word for them . Axminster are well made and are good quality !

Hi ANNE.
I have spent some time now looking at saws, and prices. I am ending up going for the Axminster saw but i am getting the 3200 size instead . I live in Ireland so with all taking into account it seems the way to go. It is impossible getting any info on this machine , so its going to be a gamble.
I will let you know how it goes.

Nev.

I don't think you'll have a problem, and it's not really a gamble as their stuff is good and their customer service is second to none

nevo":12ucmaw5 said:
Hi ANNE.
I have spent some time now looking at saws, and prices. I am ending up going for the Axminster saw but i am getting the 3200 size instead . I live in Ireland so with all taking into account it seems the way to go. It is impossible getting any info on this machine , so its going to be a gamble.
I will let you know how it goes.

Nev.

Axminster are a good company, but I don't know a single pro who buys their large machines.
The saw is cheap at £3600 inc vat, too cheap, its cheaper than a Robland and I was really disappointed with the build quality of that. After a year, it kept going out of square, always flexed when heavy boards were on it. The tilt and rise and fall mechanisms are cheap and get full of dust, constantly needed cleaning out.
The sliding table became slack as the glides wore within a year.
I could go on.

Report back to me in 2 years time, tell me i'm talking out my a***.

I'd still recommend a second hand quality saw, get a cracker for the money your spending on the new axminster.

Some of Axminster's stuff is or was Sedgewick, but the P305 is OAV, made in Taiwan (but does that go for anything now - some Altendorf are made in China?).
I have looked at various SCM and Felder. Felder feels like a Jag to SCM's landrover, SCM seem clunky and prone to controls breaking,
but having read so much negative stuff on Felder I'm not convinced, even if something used came up. Also very restricted dealer network for parts.
Yes, I'll avoid Robland, heard nothing but trouble with them!
I would travel for a quality machine, however, aftersales support if there is a problem is important. Locally, dealers (aka TSC) seem to already have a queue waiting for anything juicy coming up, or seem to want to steer you into buying new.

Can anyone comment on Axminster v The Saw Centre for service?
TSC are local, sometimes fantastic, sometimes rubbish for sales service, but yet to test them out with any problems.
I will ask Axminster about their after sales support - I dont know if they have a UK wide network, if not, I'll assume it wont exist here! Nev, I hope you dont have a problem with them, I'm just a 'worst case scenario' merchant! I am waiting in suspenders to hear how you get on with your new toy!!

I'd be happy to avoid felder as well, I've had long term use of a Hammer (same company as felder) panel saw and it was 'ok', wasn't too bad, but certainly no better than even my trade rated Axi so never worth the extra money (IMO). ok felder will be in a different league to Hammer, but at a ridiculous price and their latest customer service reviews do not help in the slightest. I signed up to their website for prices and now get regular emails and phone calls to try and get me to buy.

Latest posts

Back