2 more recent pieces

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brianp

Established Member
Reaction score
One is a box from oak, about 40mm or so in diameter (with a finial!) The other is an interesting piece of what I think is oak which had a natural exclusion in it.... I thought it was a nice feature but the stuff was as hard as nails to turn because of all of the knots I think!

Thanks again for any comments!

With a box of this style, not this one in particular, has anyone any pointers about getting the fit a bit snugger if you don't get it perfect off the lathe? I was working on one a couple of nights ago and the lid is very close to snug but isn't - I was thinking of gluing some thin thread into the wall of the lid section or something like that. Does my question make sense?

Brian,

Nice work.
It looks like oak with the radials showing on the box, I like to see oak, but hate turning it.
How did you hold the bowl in the chuck, with the 'negative space' going almost to the centre?

Better fit for the box? - I wouldn't use thread it will detract. I'd either leave it or perhaps sanding sealer, wax or similar on the inside of the joint.

Brian

finneyb":1fbu97tr said:
Brian,

How did you hold the bowl in the chuck, with the 'negative space' going almost to the centre?

Better fit for the box? - I wouldn't use thread it will detract. I'd either leave it or perhaps sanding sealer, wax or similar on the inside of the joint.

Brian

I split the negative space between 2 jaws, if that makes sense? So 2 jaws had 100% connection and 2 had about 85% and the remainder of the void was between the jaws (given the tenon was about halfway to the chuck's max) so it wasn't too bad. I was particularly particular about maximising the contact and checked the chuck's grip a couple of times during the session.

Thanks for the wax suggestion, maybe a couple of applications of that would help, but I'd be afraid of it wearing off after a short while?

For the lid fitting, I'd try wetting the mating surfaces with a small paintbrush, trying not to get water anywhere else so as not to spoil the finish. Leave it to dry completely and see if it's made any difference.

some real tricky pieces of oak there I like the grain pattern and must say to turn fresh air is a feat on its own well done
Regards
Bill

Back