1st commission - pair of stools

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skeetoids

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

My 1st commission is for a pair of stools. Pah! I hear you say, stools are stools!

However, these stools have been commissioned by my Sister for her 2 youngest children. She would like them to be made fairly large so the kids can grow with them into adulthood. She is hoping they will be passed down for generations to come.

So, when I was at the Scottish Woodcraft Show, I bought a beautiful plank of poplar burr from Lanarkshire Hardwoods. It came from a tree in the Grassmarket, the centre of Edinburgh and is over 100 years old.

Knowing my lathe would be arriving I wanted the first project to be something special.

Yesterday and today I fired up the new lathe and managed to complete both the seats for the stools.

They are 15.5" wide x 2" thick, finished with Chestnut Microcrystaline Wax:

DSC01592.jpg

C&C welcome.

Thanks,

Lee.

They look really beautiful, shows the wood off well. How are you going to do the legs? I'd advise just doing three as that way it will always stand upright. Getting four legs at the right angle and length can be a pain.

Pete

Hi Pete,

Yes, I'll be doing 3 legs for each seat.

Going to visit Lanarkshire Hardwoods to get the spindles for the legs.

I want quality wood but nothing that will overpower the seats.

I'm thinking either Ash, Elm or Oak?

I'll keep updating on progress.

Cheers,

Lee.

Personal preference would be Ash Lee, some nice white straight grain would contrast and set off those beautiful seats well. Don't forget enough for some Tee bracing spindles, that way perhaps little legs will have something to use for starters if it allows the stools to be a little taller and will help keep things stable with the passage of time.

Lovely timber Lee!! Good finish too. Well done =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

They are quite big for kiddies stools, I make some for a client and his are only about 10" diam. As you say though, growing room :wink:

I think Ash or Maple would both work as the legs, Elm and Oak may be a bit dark?

How high do you intend for them to be?

Cheers

Richard

Hi,

Thanks for the comments.

I was thinking Ash too, got 2 really long spindles but not enough for 6 legs.

I am aiming for an overall height of about 18 to 20 inches..

This is what my Sis wants.

Cheers,

Lee.

Great lathe btw Richard, well chuffed!

I really like these. Beautiful wood and a lovely way to use it. I love the fact that the provenance of the wood is known, and local, and from
somewhere of such - er - cultural significance. Have enjoyed many a pint in the Grassmarket before watching Scotland fail to cut the mustard at Murrayfield. ;)

Al

Hi Lee

looking good. Lovely commission and wood.

Looking forward to seeing how they come out.

Take care

Mark

Looking Good "Uncle Lee" :wink:

A fine job, proper turning too, none of this arty farty rubbish :lol: :lol: :wink: :wink: :roll:

Shame the polish from the penny has made a slight mark on the wood, you could try a bit of thinners to remove this?

Good job mate. Well done =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

Good job lee

Nice addition of the coin and the writing on the base.

Now you have done some proper turning you can get back to the difficult stuff. :D :D :D :D :D :D

Back