13amp table saw?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TH26

Reaction score
Firstly sorry for starting another table saw thread. My Elu TGS 172 has packed up and I've spent the past 2 weeks looking for replacement parts to get it going again but have had no luck.

This means I am now looking for a new table saw, I had aimed to upgrade to a cabinet saw but after looking around I kept coming up with the issue of only finding 16amp saws so started to accept that I will probably have to go for site saw. I've looked on here about what people have had to and looked else where also but I haven't really been able to make my mind up and have been going in circles making the little hair I have left go grey.
What I was after was something that would cut accurately be able to be moved around a small workshop (4x4m) on a wheelie kit or something like that. I will be using it pretty much every day working with hardwoods quite often. I liked the look of the Axminster AW10BSB2 but sadly it was 16amp and my workshop isn't capable of dealing with that. I have about £1000 to spend or up to £1400 at a push. Any insight or help would be greatly appreciated as at the moment I am at a complete loss and feel out of depth in the matter.

Thank you in advance.

TH

I have read everything so sorry if this sounds stupid but are you sure you cannot have a 16 amp socket fitted? It really isn't that expensive/difficult and opens up a world of possibilities.

Thank you all for your replies.
I think I worded it poorly when I said my workshop wasn't capable as to be honest I don't know if it is, what I meant was it wasn't set up. I think I will look into getting a 16 amp socket installed as like Ali said it will open up more possibilities. It's good to know others have tried it on 13amp though as it gives me another option.

Thanks again for the replies. :D

TH

Don't know whereabouts in the UK you are, but if you're in the market for a new saw, you'd do well to get this:

startrite-275-table-saw-t99249.html

I got one about 3 weeks ago which needed some work doing, I was put on to the idea by a fantastic chap who I bought a Meddings LF/FS drill from in Cheshire, they really are a solid beast and runs easily off my 13A plug. Solid old engineering and easy to work on. Probably the last saw I'll buy and I'm only 38!

As above though a relatively small investment would get you a small separate 'garage' consumer unit, some type C RBCO/MCBs and some 2.5mm cable then you can have a couple of decent 16A sockets.

I have a 'Norm-esque' 10" contractor type saw which I probably need to sell now I have the Startrite, but the 275 is a great saw and you can still get spares easily.

Anyhow, good luck!

Best,

Steve

I've had a SIP 01332 for a number of years and ran it from a 13 amp socket without problem until I installed a 16 amp socket a couple of years ago. never once did it trip the circuit breaker even though it's a "b" type and "c" type is considered more suitable.

Your 13amp socket and more specifically your socket ring, would probably take the Axminster saw. If your socket cabling is clipped directly onto your wall (not behind insulation), then it's rated to approx 27 amps. If it's behind a wall or under insulation then this will drop to 18.5 amps. And will take approx 4800 watts or 4.8 kilowatt - which is more than adequate for your 2.2 kilowatt induction motor. So it certainly won't fry your cabling.

The problem is when you first turn the machine on; the induction motor sucks a lot of juice out your socket to get itself going, then drops dramatically when up and running. This is when you'll trip your fuse box or blow your socket fuse.

I've just bought a Scheppach table saw and that was 16 amp. Absolute doddle to run from the fuse box. I ran a 6mm cable from the box to a new socket where the saw was going to be sited. 6mm is way way over size and is used for your electric showers (7kw) for example. The sockets are easy to install and are exactly the same as your caravan charging sockets.

Don't be put off by running in a new feed if you have the spare fuse space.

Having said that, the new Dewalt and Bosch site saws look really nice, and give you massive cutting widths.

Jonny

Back