1/2" Router advice please : Axminster or Dewalt or ???

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EdK

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello
I'd like to buy a router for general use, for fitting out a kitchen and for possible use on a staircase - also I make wooden spearguns.

I've used a mates cheapy one in a home made table and it did the job. My mate is telling me to get one for 40 quid from B&Q ....

I prefer tools that last and are well made but am not sure if he is right as I am a newbie to tools and woodworking.

I've been reading books like the 'Router Handbook' and other woodworking books and am pretty sure that I am after a 1/2" router with about 2000W as I would like to be able to use it in a table.

I'll be buying online - probably from Axminster. While looking at their site it showed the following:

Axminster AW127R
Dewalt DW625EK
CMT 2000
Makita 3612CX

I am a total beginner so am not sure whether to save a bit of cash and go for the Axminster one or to spend a bit more and go for one of the more expensive ones. Any opinions/experiences ?

I feel strangely drawn to the Dewalt one....

I read a bit about making a table for the router in some library books (and just now on this site) and will probably give this a go. What is a good insert to go for ? Will the Axminster one for 20 quid be ok or is there a better one for similar money ?
Guess I will need an NVR switch too.

Thanks for any help.

Ed

You have to pay for quality in a good Router. The opinions on each vary from person to person - but one thing is definite ......... if you buy any of the name brands from Axminster, you're paying at least 15% over the top! Axminster are good - but it pays to shop around and try a few. Hold them - use them if possible and see what you think.

A B&Q £40 in a table is a waste of money. Likewise for Kitchens, Staircases and the like - you may as well get a pretty coloured paperweight!

Thanks Roger - I won't be paying VAT (Guernsey) so that will take some of the sting out of it. The local shop sells DeWalt etc but they cost even more generally. I have tried other places like Screwfix but they have stopped shipping here.
What online shops would you recommend ?

As far as trying it out - I am not sure I would have the experience to tell a good router from a bad one ? Or is it down to balance and noise (at a very basic level).

Thanks Neil - will keep it on the list and scrap the Axminster one probably.

Ed

You lucky Dog - NO VAT :shock:

I'd work through the list for firms to ship to the Channel Islands:

Forum List

As to choice on a particular model. 'Generally' the main name brands are good - but they all have differing features. You are obviously looking for a 'one does all' type of item, so look for Power, solid Construction, Features you may want (such as Plunge depth, Micro adjust, Edge Guide, Collets etc.), comfortable Weight, length of Warranty, good Dust Extraction, Grip, ease of bit change. The list goes on ........ but nothing beats picking one up and trying it. A decent store will have demo units to try out - grab one and see how it feels! There are reviews all over the place of various models, but in the end it boils down to 'Do YOU like it' and does it do what you want?

Thanks Roger - will go and have a fiddle in the local shop.... As for dust extraction - can I get away with using one of the cheaper Axminster vacum type tins ? Looks like they sell for about 90 quid.... I know it is important to get rid of dust etc but would like to keep the costs of this a little under control :)
Are the tube fittings standard ?
Can this double as a normal house vacuum cleaner ?!
Ed

Hi Ed, I can reinforce the coments on the De Walt 625EK as I have one that is regularly used for kitchen worktops and also general use in my workshop. This model has now been beefed up to 200Watt and has a good plunge depth. It also has a large apeture in the base for use in a router table although I use an Hitachi for this purpose myself. The quality of build of the De Walt is beyond compare IMHO. I have eight routers of varying sizes in my collection and always reach for the De Walt on most occasions. Just my t'penneth. :wink:

I use the Makita 3612. An excellent bit of kit, but heavy. Had it three years now and it gets a lot of work both on site and in the workshop. One thing it lacks though is a soft start feature so if you're not careful it can kick a little when first starting up, but does have an electronic brake built in.

I can't comment about the others, though personally I think Dw are a bit pricey and live on their name (Oh gawd watch the sparks fly now :lol: ) except to say I just bought my employee a Ryobi one. That seems nice and has a soft start. It might be a halfway house between a really good one and a cheapo one. I will second the others and say that if you want a good heavy duty router, dont buy cheap rubbish, they DONT last!

One additional point, I'm not a router expert at all, but I think a lot of guys have a small router as well for finer lighter work.

Woody

I fit kitchens for a living and the dewalt gets up and goes to work every day without missing a beat. Have you tried powertools.co.uk they seem very competitive

I have a Ryobi in the router table, was my first router, not very good plunge - columns appear machined with quite rough surface. My 625 has smooth ground columns and thus handles much easier. The Ryobi runs well but and looks very sturdy but actually has smaller bearings in it then the 625. The 625 and the Trend CMT lookalikes are made in the same factory in Italy, but not maybe to the same standards?

Pecker":ro07x5xh said:
I use the Makita 3612. An excellent bit of kit, but heavy. Had it three years now and it gets a lot of work both on site and in the workshop. One thing it lacks though is a soft start feature so if you're not careful it can kick a little when first starting up, but does have an electronic brake built in.
The Makita 3612CX which Axminster stocks does have soft start. Be careful if you are comparing prices - the 3612 is single speed, whereas the 3612C has variable speed. The X just means that it comes in a case.

Would definitely be my choice from the 4 you listed (in fact, it was!)

Cheers,
Neil

I sent the dw625 back for a Trend T11 purely because the cutter and guide brush will be totally aligned.

I have the Axminster AW127R and I don't rate it, especially inverted in a table. Main problem is the fine height adjustment. It needs a lot of force to turn to lift the routers weight against the strong return spring, but the adjuster knob is placed where you can't get a decent hold on it. To add to this, the movement of the router up/down is jerky.

aesmith":2i8wublc said:
I have the Axminster AW127R and I don't rate it, especially inverted in a table. Main problem is the fine height adjustment. It needs a lot of force to turn to lift the routers weight against the strong return spring, but the adjuster knob is placed where you can't get a decent hold on it. To add to this, the movement of the router up/down is jerky.

Can't you remove the spring for table mounting?

Right - been away from the forum trying to sort out the rubble wreck of a house that I call 'home' (now with roof and walls...) anyway...

After much thought, the advice here and a spot of reading I am going for the DeWalt one.

I have a week off over Easter to shift a few skips of rubble from the garden but in the other time I am hoping to sort out the router and get used to it.

Table
---------
I have also ordered the Axminster black and orange able insert and will have a go at making a table. Probably from mdf - anyone got any plans / pics of a good table to make for someone with limited space ? I was thinking a folding type of table or at least one I could easily take apart.

Bits
----------
As I am ordering from Axminster they seem to sell CMT bits or Perform bits.

The nice orange ones seem to be twice the price of the yellow ones but I am thinking that yellow will go very nicely with the DW...

Are the CMT ones worth buying ?

Not too sure which bits I need but was going to go with a straight bit and a medium cove and a rounding over bit (to make a new speargun for the season primarily but also later in the year for the kitchen etc).

ie I would like bits that are going to last and work well.

Extraction
-------------
I was going to order a fine dust extractor like the Axminster one (http://www.axminster.co.uk/sessionID/EG ... -23670.htm) for about £120 but then saw a similar Axminster one for £88 without the acoustic hood.

Do these work well with a table router ?

Is there something better I could get for that sort of money?

Can I use it as a general workshop hoover ?

Thanks for any advice - Ed

Hi Ed, I've got both Perform and CMT bits and personally think the CMT are better quality if a bit expensive. Wealdon have a good following on the forum but I haven't tried them yet.

Steve

Thanks Steve - so the Perform ones aren't totally rubbish - might start off with them until I see what bits I find the most useful and then buy CMT ones.

Any views on dust control ?

Cheers Ed

Back