woodturning lathes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gezzer

Reaction score
Ey up !
I have just acquired a Viceroy Educator wood turning lathe (ex-school use), this will replace my home-made lathe (if I can generate enough space in my overloaded garage) . The only problem is, it has a 3 phase 0.75 H.P. 400/440 V motor (made by Hoover, circa 1962). I have been looking at variable frequency inverter drives on the web, but the range available is vast. I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for one of these units to suit my needs, which would apparently give speed control as a bonus. Alternatively, do you think replacing the motor with a single phase item is a better idea. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks in anticipation,
Gezzer.

Inverter drive is great, well worth the effort over a single phase motor. I can't recommend a specific inverter, but I can say DON'T get a bosch rexroth one - I did and its totally unsuitable for using on a lathe!

Well now Gezzer, I did exactly the same thing and I think the Viceroy is a really solid piece of kit. Mine came with a Hoover motor too, rated 415 volts so not dual voltage ( which you need for use with an inverter). I had a spare dual voltage motor and already had an inverter so to replace the Hoover was a no brainer. BUT - it was a bit of a palarver when it came to actually, physically replacing it. In the end I lifted the entire motor end of the lathe with a winch and dropped the old motor plus mounting plate to the floor - motor plus cast iron mounting plate = quite heavy. Then I just bo!ted the new motor to the mounting plate and lowered the lathe back down. Took a bit of fiddling to line up and get at all the bolts, but do-able.
So, do you have a suitable 3 phase motor? If not then you have 3 options -
1. Buy a 3 phase motor and inverter which will give you variable speed
2. Buy a single phase motor.
Both of these options mean the change motor performance, obviously
3. Buy a 3 phase converter and use the existing Hoover motor. You won't get variable speed though. Also the cheaper static converters will give an approximation to 3 phase but you will only get about 60% of the rated power output of the motor. The dearer rotary converters are a better approximation but can be a bit noisy with their motors running all the time.
Like I said, the choice was easy for me. I do like the lathe - dovetailed slides on the banjos, solid cast iron bed, I think it is real quality.
If you decide to go down the inverter route, let me know and I will get the details of my inverter for you - seems to work fine for me with default settings, and I just plug in other machines when needed with no need to change any settings.

Have fun.

K

I just received a Variable Frequency Drive (VFD) to power my 5 hp 3ph dust collector. I wanted the option of running it slower for light dust producing activities. I bought it through Alibaba from Dalian Powtran. Total cost to me in Canada was $225US and it took about 2 weeks to get. Find them on Alibaba and ask them what one would cost giving them as much information as you can. They have a number of versions that input single phase and output a number of 3 phase voltages. I needed a 4 kilowatt unit so you would need a .75KW VFD. One nice thing about this drive is the control panel can be removed from the unit and with a Cat 5 cable that was supplied let you mount up to 6 feet from the VFD. It isn't quit plug and play so you will need to program the parameters of the VFD. Find a good sparky to help.

Pete

Mine is an Invertec Optidrive, from a UK company. You can find them on ebay. I deliberately avoided far east imported ones.!!!
If you do decide on a vfd, then you need to consider the issue of dust and moisture. I had a Eurodrive vfd which went defective and it just had a fan and ventilation slots which I suspect caused the problem eventually. The optidrive is available as a totally enclosed IP 54 or whatever, or as a cheaper but open ventilated model and the instructions specifically state not to be used in a dusty or damp atmosphere - didn't know that when I bought it. Anyhow it is mounted inside a home made steel cabinet about 30" tall, plenty of room for air to circulate. There is a thermal cut out wired in to the supply, set to operate at 50 degrees, and I have recently bought a cheap (£2) moisture absorber - the type used for caravans etc, to put in there with it. Because I can't easily get at the front control panel now, I have a lead going to a box with speed control, on/off and reverse switches connected. Magnets glued to the base of the box allow me to position it easily on any of my 3 phase machines.

K

Mine came with a Hoover motor too, rated 415 volts so not dual voltage ( which you need for use with an inverter)

sorry to contradict, my ags10 tablesaw is 415v
myfordman of this parish sorted me an inverter, without me changing motor wiring

Steve

Most of the inverters in the sub £300 range produce 240v so the 3 phase motor needs to be connected in delta mode. You can indeed get 415 volt output from inverters, they have a built in transformer, but are more expensive. Worth it though if it means avoiding changing the motor. I already had a 240v inverter for other machines so it was better for me to change the motor to a dual voltage wired in delta mode rather than get another inverter, even if it was a right palaver.

If I had known about 415v inverters before I was committed to 240v 3 phase then t would have saved me a lot of messing about - I have now had to change 3 different motors because they were star connected only.
K

A star wound motor can be changed to delta by opening the motor a changing the wires in the windings. A motor rewinder can do it. Whether the cost to do the change is cheaper than a replacement has to be factored.

I happened to have some dual voltage motors so it was easy enough to just swap them over ( apart from the Viceroy). I had to take one to a motor repair / rewind firm though because it was an awkward mounting arrangement. It cost me £35 about 9 years ago to have it done. I bought an inverter about 11 years ago. They were not so common then and I didn't know that 415v ones were available. So kind of committed to the delta connected 220 volt now.

K

Back